Capitol Conditions - Elks in general

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Capitol Conditions - Elks in general

Post by ajkagy »

snowing in the valley below 9k now
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cheeseburglar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 79 2 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by cheeseburglar »

Looks like the Elks are no longer non technical.
I thought we'd have an Indian Summer this year. Now I don't think it is going to happen.
The marmot said “Nobody is perfect and you are not nobody.”

Random FoTH Quotes
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

I'll try to get a picture from work if the clouds clear out. I was in the flat tops yesterday and by noon there was a foot of snow. I was just over 10k. We have some snow here at 7k at glenwood caverns.
BobbyFinn
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 573 5 7
Trip Reports (19)

Post by BobbyFinn »

The bells have snow - as seen from maroon lake. From 82 it looked like Capitol had some snow. Sorry - no pics.
ChrisinAZ
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (12)

Post by ChrisinAZ »

Bobby--anything that looked like it'd possibly at least somewhat melt off in the next few days? Or was it a pretty good dumping?
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks
Kane
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kane »

I was at Maroon Lake for sunrise this morning, I scraped off 6" of snow from the lake seating bench. It dumped last night. It all melted away down at the lake today but the entire mountain looks white.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

Kane wrote:I was at Maroon Lake for sunrise this morning, I scraped off 6" of snow from the lake seating bench. It dumped last night. It all melted away down at the lake today but the entire mountain looks white.
...pics or it didn't happen.

Not that I'd ever bestow the generous title of "picture" on anything other than my Kodachrome prints.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
TakeMeToYourSummit
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 287 25 2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TakeMeToYourSummit »

GEDV0013 (640x360).jpg
GEDV0013 (640x360).jpg (340.34 KiB) Viewed 473 times
Went for a hike from my apartment up the Rim Trail in Snowmass. Snowline sticking around 11k to 11.5kish.

Clark, Capitol, Daly
I'm horrible with names...
But will never forget a mountain's face!
ClayDishman
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ClayDishman »

In reference to the boulder field to K2...my ankles say LET IT SNOW!!!!!! See ya Wednesday.....
BobbyFinn
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 573 5 7
Trip Reports (19)

Post by BobbyFinn »

I'm sure there will be a good amount of melting- there were a lot of rocks sticking through the snow and it was a sunny, cloudless day today. But I can't guarantee anything. Sorry. We stayed on the tourist trail around maroon lake.
iholdthepain
Trip Reports (0)

Post by iholdthepain »

Oh, it happened... First time at the Bells, and what a glorious day it was:
08282013 Maroon Bells medium.JPG
08282013 Maroon Bells medium.JPG (161.16 KiB) Viewed 365 times
Although the drive up !-70 was dicey in the early am hours, the payoff was a beautiful hike, with the Frow and the Squid, through the most beautiful fall foliage up to Crater Lake, contrasted with a backdrop of white powder and "The Deadly Bells!"

A magical day, indeed!
To quote the great Paul Petzoldt,

“…Some people say that experience is the best teacher. To heck with that. I know people who have been making the same mistakes for forty years.”
scramble
14ers: 35  4  6 
13ers: 23 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by scramble »

Heh knee to thigh deep sometimes on north maroon today. Turned around a few hundred feet shy of the summit. Snow was no good to climb on... Maybe if you could burrow down to the rock and dry tool? Anyway, super gorgeous out there.