Man fell into crevasse in Glacier National Park

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
aliciaf
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 16 1
Trip Reports (9)

Man fell into crevasse in Glacier National Park

Post by aliciaf »

http://m.dailyinterlake.com/news/local_ ... l?mode=jqm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MUni Rider
14ers: 51 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (20)

Re: Man fell into crevasse in Glacier National Park

Post by MUni Rider »

Crazy story and incredible self rescue. Not too long before this guy sees a movie deal. That would be a good thing, to help with his medical bills.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

MUni Rider wrote:Crazy story and incredible self rescue. Not too long before this guy sees a movie deal. That would be a good thing, to help with his medical bills.
Did you see "Vertical Limits"?
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

I would think you're looking for something more like "Touching the Void".
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
Klinger1986
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Klinger1986 »

That is incredible. It is truly astounding what the human body is capable of accomplishing. I'm glad this story had a happy ending.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.” -Dr. Seuss
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Fisching »

Glacier National Park still has glaciers???
(I would put that in pink font, but I'm not sure it's actually required)

What a captivating, yet horrifying first hand account of the incident. Glad he's going to make a recovery and avoided any possible paralysis. It's too bad more people are focusing on the Longs incident instead of this one, given the elaborate account - first hand account - that is available here. This is a great example where the users looking to learn lessons from accidents can do so because of the amount of accurate details provided straight from the injured climber.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

Hang in there, Ted. Prayers and well wishes for a speedy and complete recovery. You can't kill the spirit. It's strong like the mountain.
bunny256
14ers: 58  3  4 
13ers: 359 8 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bunny256 »

What an amazing story! Glad he was able to fight through what must have been excruciating pain and make it to safety.
LoJ
IG @i_heart_mountains
summitstep
14ers: 15 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by summitstep »

Wow! Tense stuff. Very similar in story to The Ledge by Jim Davidson. Thank God he got out safe to tell us all.
"In this high country that we love, trails are steep. We climb each mile, breath by breath, and at the threshold of pain, bliss overtakes us."

"It's called CRAZY. And somehow, when you are bent over your poles, staring at your boots- heart heaving and trying not to cough your lung onto a rock= you look up...and you are looking down over all those beautiful mountains....and you wouldn't want to be anywhere else."

"For all the richness of normal, everyday life, it is good sometimes to trespass high in the sky, and live with uncommon intensity, experiencing something that gets close to the sublime."
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

"KC native’s will to live defeats a Montana glacier"
http://www.kansascity.com/2013/09/21/44 ... feats.html
Includes two videos one reflecting and one of him in the crevasse with a broken back and last words.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

Gnarly. I'm very happy to hear this guy was able to get himself out. Wishing him a full and speedy recovery.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
Klinger1986
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Klinger1986 »

TallGrass wrote:"KC native’s will to live defeats a Montana glacier"
http://www.kansascity.com/2013/09/21/44 ... feats.html
Includes two videos one reflecting and one of him in the crevasse with a broken back and last words.
This story is an eye opener. I know many of us, at one point or another, have decided not to utilize our available equipment. I am guilty of it. Hopefully we can all learn from this mistake, so we can arrive home safely. It was very hard watching that second video, because it could have easily been me. Grass, thanks for keeping us updated on his condition, and I hope he can return to hiking.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.” -Dr. Seuss