Goat Encounters - Chicago Basin

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Vincopotamus
14ers: 36  3  3 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Goat Encounters - Chicago Basin

Post by Vincopotamus »

One of my favorites of a friend trying to pull up his rain pants while escaping a charging goat in No Name Basin.

Please don't feed the animals by milesbabb, on Flickr
The only time I lower the bar is après
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

Back in July '93 when it was still allowed, a group of friends and I camped up at Twin Lakes for a couple of nights to climb Sunlight, Windom, and Eolus. On our last morning before breaking camp, one of the more inquisitive goats stuck his head into one of our tents to explore, and startled its occupants. When they shouted at it to drive it away, the goat jerked his head back and accidentally thrust his horns through the roof and rain fly of the tent. His horns got stuck in the tent fabric, and he struggled for awhile before he was able to pull himself loose. We packed up the damaged tent, hiked out to the train at Needleton, and shared the story of our Twin Lakes goat encounter with other climbers on the ride back to Durango. A few weeks later, one of my friends who had been on the trip and who lives in Colorado happened to mention to an acquaintance that we had camped at Twin Lakes to climb the Needles 14ers. The acquaintance shared a story he had just heard about a terrorized climbing party whose tents had been attacked and destroyed by a herd of aggressive goats a few weeks earlier at Twin Lakes. As is often true when rumors spread, the reality of our innocent goat encounter had been distorted from a freak accident into a full-scale attack! Or perhaps the goats really did ambush another party at Twin lakes that summer--who knows? Mmaaaaaaaaaanngh! 8-[
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
Guitarzan
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Guitarzan »

When I first glanced at this topic title I though it said Ghost Encounters - Chicago Basin. I have to say I am disappointed it was only Goats........ :cry:
"Pain don't hurt."- Patrick Swayze ROAD HOUSE
rickinco123
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by rickinco123 »

Guitarzan wrote:When I first glanced at this topic title I though it said Ghost Encounters - Chicago Basin. I have to say I am disappointed it was only Goats........ :cry:
Funny you should say that because I was relieved no bestiality photos showed up here.
atbaritone
14ers: 55 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by atbaritone »

One very simple solution: salt blocks in various locations throughout the basin. That would end the whole problem, including the goats digging up the sh*t and TP of less scrupulous campers.
An unsuccessful day climbing is better than a successful day working.--Me.
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

atbaritone wrote:One very simple solution: salt blocks in various locations throughout the basin. That would end the whole problem, including the goats digging up the sh*t and TP of less scrupulous campers.
Who says its goats doing that? :oops:
larkinrx2
14ers: 35 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by larkinrx2 »

loved the photo, needs a caption tho
mountain-goats-question.JPG
mountain-goats-question.JPG (98.84 KiB) Viewed 788 times
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.
goingup
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 295 1 4
Trip Reports (33)

Post by goingup »

I absolutely love fat furry creatures, this thread is funny. :lol:
through being cool
spong0949
14ers: 49  1 
13ers: 47
Trip Reports (26)

Post by spong0949 »

Guitarzan wrote:When I first glanced at this topic title I though it said Ghost Encounters - Chicago Basin. I have to say I am disappointed it was only Goats........ :cry:
Not a ghost encounter for us but we did see Slenderman on the catwalk about a month ago!

Mountain photography and fine art:
https://aaron-spong.pixels.com/

Blog:
http://14erart.com

"SOLI DEO GLORIA"
Tim A
14ers: 28  3 
13ers: 51 1
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Tim A »

I shared my first 14er summit with only one other individual in March of 2012.

As my knowledge of these beasts at the time was minimal, I naively proceeded to relieve myself before heading back down, and the goat quickly approached me with that look in his eye. Horrifying.

Now I know better: never touch the zipper within the line of sight of these salt miners.