NEED YOUR HELP - Missing hiker in the Crestones

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
WhoDang
14ers: 12  1 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: NEED YOUR HELP - Missing hiker in the Crestones

Post by WhoDang »

Woody and his teams are top notch. Wishing the best.
cindyh
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cindyh »

The mission is ongoing and there is going to be a lot of activity in the area again today. Any clues can be called into CCSAR at (719) 783 0442.
CindyH
semitrueskerm
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by semitrueskerm »

bump. Any news?
summit21
14ers: 47 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by summit21 »

From Denver 7 News:
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/lo ... -mountains" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"The weather? The weather? Just show up at the trailhead and see what happens...you'll be surprised!"
Mel McKinney
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Mel McKinney »

I hope the family releases a photo. It might help jog the memories of people who passed him on the trail. Really hoping for good outcomes with both Mark and Gene, who's missing in the Mt. Harvard area.
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")
hansolo35
14ers: 42  3 
Trip Reports (10)

Post by hansolo35 »

Was at south colony lake today hiking humbolt (in the snow). A Blackhawk heli was circling the crestones all day and even attempted to land on the summit of the needle. Spoke with some SAR guys and they are still searching. The weather was very cold this morning and the whole cirque was a snow-fest, but things warmed up today, melting a bunch all over ( but still calf-deep drifts in lots of places. Saw the missing climbers truck at the trailhead and it was a strange feeling. Hoping for the best on this...lots of SAR guys looking for him
VickieV
Trip Reports (0)

Post by VickieV »

A picture would help.. We camped at the TH on Friday and hiked the Needle on Saturday and back to the TH. We talked to at least 3 single male hikers on the trail that day. The suburban was in the same spot both days. Prayers for the family.
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

Since people are asking for a photo of this missing hiker I did a little searching and MAY have found a picture of him. Hopefully, if this is him, someone who was up there over the weekend will recognize him and be able to help SAR in their search.

Hoping and praying for the best SAR and Mark! [-o<

There is only one Mark Stice listed on Public Records as living in Arvada, CO, and I found a Facebook page of a Mark Stice that lives in Aravada, CO.
Here is the Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/mark.stice.14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Below is a picture of this Mark Stice with his brother when they climbed Longs Peak 3 weeks ago that is posted on the Facebook Page. He is on the right in the picture. Which would corroborate what is stated in the 7NEWS report, that Mark Stice is a 14er climber.

Also on the Facebook page, there are pictures of fish he caught, and the 7NEWS report reported that he had fishing gear. Lastly, there are a couple of pictures on his timeline from the Sangres. May 4 and May 11. Both are pictures taken from Humboldt Peak which is right near where this Mark Stice went missing and the 7NEWS report said he had "knowledge" of the area.
Attachments
Mark Stice.jpg
Mark Stice.jpg (238.62 KiB) Viewed 5143 times
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
beezer11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by beezer11 »

I work with Mark Stice and can confirm he is the man on the right in the photo. Thank you for all of your hard work SAR!
beezer11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by beezer11 »

FYI Mark does typically wear glasses as seen in the picture posted. Since he cannot have facial hair at work it would not surprise me if he grew a beard/mustache or goatee. He has very dark brown hair and it is fairly close cut. He is resourceful.
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

Anyone heard any updates on this? :( I PM'd Alpine Rescue Team and CCSARCAP and I'll let you know what I hear...
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
beezer11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by beezer11 »

According to the family updates the search continued today with dogs but I have not heard anything else. Please let us know what you find out! We are all hoping he is found and can return to his family!