Did winter come early in the Sangres or what??

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
dehrlich101
14ers: 46  2 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (21)

Re: Did winter come early in the Sangres or what??

Post by dehrlich101 »

spadflyer12 wrote:Does anyone have a good view of the Crestones? I'm hoping to do the North Pillar tomorrow, but don't really want to do it with snow or ice on route....
I saw a dusting of snow on the western aspects of the Crestones yesterday while driving by them.
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ
spadflyer12
14ers: 19  1 
13ers: 7 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by spadflyer12 »

jdorje wrote:north is probably a bad idea. can't see that area though.
Yeah, we made it up the North Pillar without a problem, but the North Butress had quite a bit of snow on it. We decided that attempting the 5.2 downclimb and 4th class unprotected slab traverse from Northeast Crestone to the main notch in the 25+mph winds with snow on the trail would be a bad idea, so we bailed down to Bear's Playground. Was still a pretty epic climb.

jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

I don't think it's quite winter, but fall has arrived right on time about an hour ago.