La Plata - Northwest vs Southwest Ridge

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Cheaton6
14ers: 19 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (1)

La Plata - Northwest vs Southwest Ridge

Post by Cheaton6 »

Hey we are looking to climb La Plata tomorrow and I was wondering what everyone thinks is the best route? Doesn’t matter the difference in elevation and mileage. I am interested in which way people think is a better hike/prettier. Any information would be appreciated!
Turtle Boy
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Re: La Plata - Northwest vs Southwest Ridge

Post by Turtle Boy »

I enjoy the SW Ridge. It's more of a Wilderness experience and the dispersed camping is better. I also think the views are better for most of the climb but that's debatable. There can be water issues in the willows in the meadow before the cirque climb (can be a scree fest here). Nothing challenging but something to note on your boot choice. Enjoy the climb.
2 left ft
14ers: 34 
13ers: 22 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 2 left ft »

I hiked to the saddle on the northwest ridge a couple years ago and enjoyed the hike. Didn't summit due to the group I was hiking with. I hiked the southwest ridge last year and wish I would have done the northwest ridge. I didn't care for the boulder field. Maybe I just had an off day. I talked with someone a couple days ago that did Ellingwood Ridge and said it took them 12 hours (I think). I encourage others to do the standard route 1st time up on LaPlata.
bigredmachine
14ers: 58 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bigredmachine »

I haven't done the nw ridge, but the sw ridge was one of the more enjoyable routes I've done. Plus it's almost entirely in the sun so I would imagine there would be little to no snow at all. The views are very good through most of the hike.
Cheaton6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Cheaton6 »

Awesome thank you guys! Right now I am kind of leaning towards the southwest ridge since its not the "standard route" I am thinking it might have a few less people :mrgreen: [youtubevideo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfWCaqTHIoE[/youtubevideo]
zinj
14ers: 58 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (13)

Post by zinj »

My group of four will be on the NW ridge if that helps your decision (either way!) :-k
Exiled Michigander
14ers: 58  7 
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Exiled Michigander »

I've done both routes. Normally I'd recommend the SW ridge--I think it's a bit more scenic and usually less crowded. However, with all the rains, the trudge through the willows in the basin between 11,750 and 12,000 might be a soggy mess with ankle-deep mud. Even last autumn when it was much dryer there was quite a bit of standing water up there. So I think, for this weekend, I'd recommend the NW ridge.
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dpage »

2 more will be on the SW ridge but we won't be camping. Hoping for better views than last time when we couldn't see more than 5 ft in front of us.
Cheaton6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Cheaton6 »

Awesome see you in the AM. what time are you planning to start the SW ridge. Were shooting to start by 3am and get a high altitude sunrise!
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dpage »

Most likely not until 5. See you on the mountain
SolarAlex
14ers: 35  13  5 
13ers: 92 23 5
Trip Reports (21)

Post by SolarAlex »

me and a couple friends are heading up the nw ridge. probably gonna be getting a late start (730 or 8) but the weather looks good. see you guys up there!
Vincit Qui Patitur
kaiman
Trip Reports (10)

Post by kaiman »

I climbed La Plata by the NW ridge 2 times before trying the SW route and found that the SW route is much better, less used, and more scenic. You will need a 4WD vehicle or at least high clearance beyond Winfield to drive the last couple miles to the trailhead.
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"I haven't climbed Everest, skied to the poles, or sailed single-handed around the world. The goals I set out to accomplish aren't easily measured or quantified by world records or "firsts." The reasons I climb, and the climbs I do, are about more than distance or altitude, they are about breaking barriers within myself."

- Andy Kirkpatrick