Bringing dogs on Castle/Conundrum

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Lady McClimbsalot
14ers: 58 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (12)

Bringing dogs on Castle/Conundrum

Post by Lady McClimbsalot »

I ONLY want to hear from people who have done this WITH their dogs so I can get their first-hand opinions.

I have a Catahoula and a lab/rot mutt, both great hikers and in shape. They've done lots of hikes and have SO much energy. Only 14er they've done is Sherman but they had no issues whatsoever. The Catahoula carried a pack with food/water/waste and they were both still bouncing around like crazy when they were done.

My question... As difficult 2s, are these mountains very much dog friendly or have you had bad experiences? We're heading up today , camping, then climbing tomorrow, so any tips or advice would be appreciated! Thanks :-D
I'll climb till I dye!
flylikeabeagle
14ers: 35 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Bringing dogs on Castle/Conundrum

Post by flylikeabeagle »

I climbed Castle via the standard route many moons ago, but around this time of year so it was beautiful in the area with the leaves changing. Started out with my husband and our large 95 lb lab. The dog was very fit, but started to have a little trouble towards the top. My husband ended up taking the lab down and I went on to summit. It's been awhile, but I remember some sort of slope I had to do a little climbing, maybe easy 3rd class, towards the top that was difficult for our pup. A smaller dog probably wouldn't have too much trouble. Sorry to not be more help - thought I would add what I could. Have a great trip!
Can we drive any higher?
GeezerClimber
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeezerClimber »

I've seen a few dogs up there with mixed results. One small one was really having trouble with all the talus. Another summited ahead of its owners while we were on the summit and was happy as could be. That was an athletic, medium sized mutt. There is a lot of sharp talus and scree this time of year. A dog needs tough feet and must be able and unafraid to do a couple of short borderline class 3 pitches. I have two labs that have climbed a bunch of class 1s and 2s but left them home for Castle.

Dave
dehrlich101
14ers: 46  2 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (21)

Post by dehrlich101 »

I brought my dog up both peaks a month ago and he did fine. There were a few parts where I had to help him down. He is a red heeler who is 30 lbs +/-... There is a lot of scree up there that will cut up dog paws.. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have some dog booties to protect their paws if you decide to bring them.

These are even on sale right now.
http://www.rei.com/product/832662/rei-dog-boots
I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ
OscarMayerSweener
14ers: 39 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by OscarMayerSweener »

Took my 70-lb. black lab up Castle this summer. She has 12 fourteeners under her collar, and had no trouble with any of the talus. The only issue arose about 100' shy of the summit. The standard route goes through a notch in a small rock wall that stands 7/8' tall. Easy for a human to reach up and climb, but my dog didn't love it. We tried to skirt but the rock on either side was sketchy and loose. I ended up using a clean and jerk method that left me with a few claw marks. We ended up making it to the summit, but it was more of a pain than it needed to be. Something to think about!
John Paul
14ers: 41 
13ers: 223
Trip Reports (0)

Post by John Paul »

We did this with Dakota Wind (75 lbs. Border/Lab mix) on 7/3/2010 and he went up both with no problems. At the time he was about two and a half years old. Honestly, I did not even think about it being an issue for him but it's good you are concerned. We were able to glissade down from the Conundrum-Castle saddle as there was plenty of snow. He did not wear dog booties but never really does as he likes to bite at them. Good luck and lets us know how it goes!