1st Hand Account of Women Stuck on Longs

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
crossfitter
Trip Reports (7)

Re: 1st Hand Account of Women Stuck on Longs

Post by crossfitter »

BHallDDS wrote:"At daybreak, visibility was very poor with driving rain. When visibility improved slightly, we still had time to cover the short but difficult distance to our intended campsite."

That's their account. Again, the storm was ongoing. And the distance to the Boulderfield is yes short, but it's the most difficult and committed part of their entire loop. Anyone who has done the Narrows would tell you doing it when slick is an absolute nightmare. I quite honestly want to stop hearing tragedies about people dying up on Longs. I realize it's gonna happen but good lord. They are lucky they didn't die or have someone die trying to get them.
It's very, very important to understand their headspace. Yes, in hindsight the textbook decision would be to bail as soon as the weather got bad. But consider the scenario from their perspective: You've been on the trail for a week. The weather has turned unseasonably bad, contrary to your best knowledge of the forecast when you left. You have no idea how long it will last. You've got less than 2000' of scrambling to go until relative safety. Your options are to continue on in sub-optimal (but manageable) conditions, or bail down an epic bushwhack and then figure out how to return to your car many miles away. The weather seems to be letting up, but you have no idea for how long. Do you roll the dice and go for it, or do you resign to the completely unattractive but more certain plan B?

With the benefit of hindsight on just how bad the storm was, plan b is an easy call. But would you honestly make that choice given the same information? Wouldn't you have felt like a jackass if it was a typical short-lived storm and the sun came out 3 hours later? I'm not saying that decision was right, but I think most people wouldn't have done anything different - and that's the point. People need to realize that it's really easy to follow the textbook - until you find an exception which convinces you that you can bend the rules this time.
- A mountain is not a checkbox to be ticked
- Alpinism and mountaineering are not restricted to 14,000 foot mountains
- Judgment and experience are the two most important pieces of gear you own
- Being honest to yourself and others about your abilities is a characteristic of experienced climbers
- Courage cannot be bought at REI or carried with you in your rucksack

HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

I just wish they had this map with them. Might have saved them from the extended bushwack down Hunters Creek. It appears they missed Sandbeach Trail as they came down the climbers trail out of Meeker Meadow. With the poor weather/visibility and high stream flow they probably could not see it. Otherwise, they relied on their experience and did an amazing job with self rescue.
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

51h71zXMcyL._SY300_.jpg
51h71zXMcyL._SY300_.jpg (18.15 KiB) Viewed 3700 times
Copies are available starting at $.95. Now that everyone has their two cents in, we should have enough to by a used paperback copy.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
BHallDDS
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by BHallDDS »

tlongpine wrote:
51h71zXMcyL._SY300_.jpg
Copies are available starting at $.95. Now that everyone has their two cents in, we should have enough to by a used paperback copy.
I'll take an e-book for my Kindle.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Dex wrote:
Are we sure they were women?
They didn't turn around.
Tunnel vision - get to the peak.
They had a phone, yet didn't call for a weather report.
I'm guessing they didn't ask for directions (if there were other hikers around).
We passed them in their tent on our way up to do the great chimney on palisades and they didn't ask us for directions. Sick climb though!
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Crossfitter, you are an ARMY!! =D>

To all you who speculated in the locked thread:

JROSKA
14ers: 50 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by JROSKA »

Quick question. I noticed in the locked thread that someone made a crack of "I wonder if they hugged each other for warmth??", and then a few others made jokes about it. So why does no one take exception to a comment like that regarding the near-death experience for these women; yet speculation about a few weather / go / no go decisions throws folks into an absolute tizzy?? People are weird . . .
“Is there a thing of which it is said, ‘See, this is new’? It has been already in the ages before us. There is no remembrance of former things, nor will there be any remembrance of later things yet to be among those who come after.” - Ecclesiastes 1:10-11
VagabondSurveyor
14ers: 6 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by VagabondSurveyor »

I was kinda wondering the same thing..
rickinco123
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by rickinco123 »

martinleroux wrote:
rickinco123 wrote:Their account makes no sense to me. Why were they looking for Clark's arrow? What beta would have told them to do that? They needed to head toward the homestretch which is fairly obvious and well cairned. Did they end up on the Loft? Did they exit out Keplingers?
Their account seems clear enough. When they refer to Clark's Arrow they mean the final part of the traverse that starts at the Loft, crosses Keplinger's and finishes up the Homestretch. The traverse to the Homestretch may be fairly obvious in normal conditions but at the time visibility was down to 20-30'. There's nothing in their account to suggest they were looking for the painted arrow itself, and they certainly weren't trying to do the traverse in reverse back to the Loft. It's also clear that they descended the way they came up, i.e. Keplinger's.
They gave out GPS coords that show them on the Loft and they kept refering to "downclimbing" to get back to the Keyhole route and Clark's arrow. I guess in this instance I am taking things a little too literal, they are calling the top of Keplinger's the "Clarks' Arrow". Where would they get that idea from? I still see a lot of confusion in their story.
rickinco123
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by rickinco123 »

crossfitter wrote:Wouldn't you have felt like a jackass if it was a typical short-lived storm and the sun came out 3 hours later? I'm not saying that decision was right, but I think most people wouldn't have done anything different - and that's the point.
Answer to 1st question.... No.

You are wildly speculating. Having been on Keplingers, I would have turned back in this situation, especially after getting in there and seeing how rotten that ravine is. From their story, it does not seem to me they did an excellent job either assembling their beta or understanding it.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

JROSKA wrote:Quick question. I noticed in the locked thread that someone made a crack of "I wonder if they hugged each other for warmth??", and then a few others made jokes about it.
"... we carried appropriate gear, including a small backpacking tent, a 2-person 30 degrees F sleeping bag, ultra-light sleeping pads, ..." PDF link :-k
lodgling wrote:Maybe we can agree to focus some criticism on Backpacker? Granted, I've only been on Keplinger's twice and I was going down both times, but isn't this a crappy way to climb it? http://www.backpacker.com/media/origina ... 95507.jpeg Isn't it much better to stay climber's left in the gulley/couloir and avoid most of the traversing below Palisades? Or is the route drawn in red the way to do it (if at all) when the snow is gone?
So would #1 be Longs, #2 "Southeast Longs", and #3 Mt. Meeker? I also see "VABM 14,251" so would that be a VA (?) Bench Mark for SE Longs or just a shoulder of Longs proper?
OTlongs.JPG
OTlongs.JPG (135.39 KiB) Viewed 3725 times
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
lodgling
14ers: 58  58  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by lodgling »

OTlongs.JPG
OTlongs.JPG (255 KiB) Viewed 3660 times