Snow seen on the following peaks today:

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
evolve
14ers: 17 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Snow seen on the following peaks today:

Post by evolve »

rijaca wrote:
Vincopotamus wrote:Spotted some snow on the high, northern aspects of Pigeon and Turret from up around Purg.
You can see the high, northern aspects of Pigeon and Turret from Purg? :roll:
Wait... either I'm failing to internet properly or...
needles.jpg
needles.jpg (100.64 KiB) Viewed 905 times
... yes, you can!
@cruxology
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

evolve wrote:
rijaca wrote:
Vincopotamus wrote:Spotted some snow on the high, northern aspects of Pigeon and Turret from up around Purg.
You can see the high, northern aspects of Pigeon and Turret from Purg? :roll:
needles.jpg
... yes, you can!
Yep, that is Pigeon and Turret, just not the northern aspects.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
evolve
14ers: 17 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (1)

Post by evolve »

rijaca wrote:
evolve wrote:
rijaca wrote:You can see the high, northern aspects of Pigeon and Turret from Purg? :roll:
... yes, you can!
Yep, that is Pigeon and Turret, just not the northern aspects.
Please don't make me prove you wrong. :)

Edit: don't read that as hostile, just playing :)
@cruxology
MrJohnnySpot
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MrJohnnySpot »

Can anybody comment on how Massive looks today?

Debating a trip up there to do Massive tomorrow AM, if not going for Massive Mania. Looks cold and probably windy but after being on lockdown because of the floods last weekend and having a friend bail on me the weekend before (I was going to do the Loft Route on Longs but now that seems like it's not an option for this season. I'm getting a bit crazy not having been in the mountains in a few weekends, hopefully, the weather will hold tomorrow and there's not much snow left today.
2 left ft
14ers: 34 
13ers: 22 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 2 left ft »

I saw a dusting on Torres Wed when I was on Parnassus but most of it looked melted on the way down and then lost sight of the summit due to a storm around 2pm.
rbailey23
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rbailey23 »

MrJohnnySpot wrote:Can anybody comment on how Massive looks today?

Debating a trip up there to do Massive tomorrow AM, if not going for Massive Mania. Looks cold and probably windy but after being on lockdown because of the floods last weekend and having a friend bail on me the weekend before (I was going to do the Loft Route on Longs but now that seems like it's not an option for this season. I'm getting a bit crazy not having been in the mountains in a few weekends, hopefully, the weather will hold tomorrow and there's not much snow left today.
MrJohnnySpot, a friend and I are also hoping to do Massive tomorrow, but it looks pretty cold and possibly crappy weather this weekend. I'm hoping someone else replies with an update! The last conditions report was from the 15th. [-o<
bigredmachine
14ers: 58 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bigredmachine »

Keep in mind if you are using the weather tab on this site/NOAA Massives numbers are coming from 14k, in other words the weather always appears worse on Massive
BrianWright
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BrianWright »

I heard there was snow on Independence Pass, so I am guessing there is snow in the Elks and parts of the Sawatches. Beautiful days yesterday and today, though, so it probably wont last
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." Ernest Hemingway

http://www.coloradomountaineering.com
MrJohnnySpot
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MrJohnnySpot »

bigredmachine wrote:Keep in mind if you are using the weather tab on this site/NOAA Massives numbers are coming from 14k, in other words the weather always appears worse on Massive
That's great to know! I didn't realize it was pulling from that high, makes me more optimistic about pulling it off tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I can deal with the cold, if not to pull off the Mania, at least to summit the primary/standard summit (and then run my butt back to the TH/car!).
rbailey23 wrote:
MrJohnnySpot wrote:Can anybody comment on how Massive looks today?

MrJohnnySpot, a friend and I are also hoping to do Massive tomorrow, but it looks pretty cold and possibly crappy weather this weekend. I'm hoping someone else replies with an update! The last conditions report was from the 15th. [-o<
Sweet! Maybe I'll run into ya'll tomorrow. I'll pretty much be wearing exactly what I have in my avatar photo, though perhaps I'll have my black jacket on over it, and my trekking poles to boot, since the cold/wind should be lovely. But, after having climbed Longs in 30-50mph winds once when it was ~45 out, I'm thinking I can push through it. And, if not, well I'll get outside for a bit and can always try for the summit another day. :)
Aug_Dog
14ers: 31 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aug_Dog »

Grizzly and Lenawee from Loveland Pass Thursday morning. The face of Lenawee looked quite filled in compared to the rest of the ridge. The back side of Torreys had a noticeable amount of snow on it, too, from the Chihuahua Gulch side. Really pretty. Sorry for the crappy quality.

http://postimg.org/image/latr6s33j/
Go get it
rking007
14ers: 13  1 
13ers: 19 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rking007 »

Aug_Dog wrote:Grizzly and Lenawee from Loveland Pass Thursday morning. The face of Lenawee looked quite filled in compared to the rest of the ridge. The back side of Torreys had a noticeable amount of snow on it, too, from the Chihuahua Gulch side. Really pretty. Sorry for the crappy quality.

http://postimg.org/image/latr6s33j/
You didn't happen to get a shot behind you of the Citadel and Hagar did you? May head up there in the next few days.
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
BlueKhan
14ers: 27 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BlueKhan »

BrianWright wrote:I heard there was snow on Independence Pass, so I am guessing there is snow in the Elks and parts of the Sawatches. Beautiful days yesterday and today, though, so it probably wont last
My brother did North Maroon this morning and said there was most definitely snow and ice...particularly in the chimney/rock band area.