Mt. Ouray on Sat, Sept 21

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Mt. Ouray on Sat, Sept 21

Post by SnowAlien »

It is last minute, but would anybody interested to carpool and hike Mt. Ouray on Saturday? Sort of last minute change of plans. Methinks this would be a good mellow option with all that recent snow.
Last edited by SnowAlien on Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Re: Mt. Ouray on Sat, Sept 20

Post by bergsteigen »

What snow?

"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
SnowAlien
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

bergsteigen wrote:What snow?
huh? It's gone already? :) Even better
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

Saturday is September 21. Forecast for good weather.

I might be interested. What route? My experience from hiking (not summitting) on that mountain is that although the W ridge from the pass is shorter, you have to drive over 30 minutes further (low-clearance vehicle, road condition dependent) in each direction to get up there. So the Gray's Creek route (eastern shoulder) may be purely better (and still not that long). However the eastern shoulder could go through deeper snow whereas the W ridge is all along ridges or south-facing slopes (not an issue yet). A loop is possible but that's even more driving. There is a cabin at the pass, which is a bonus if you're camping at the trailhead.

I also couldn't find the trailhead for Gray's Creek when I drove through, but i wasn't looking all that hard.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

jdorje wrote:you have to drive over 30 minutes further (low-clearance vehicle, road condition dependent) in each direction to get up there.
If the aspens have started changing, that road is 12 solid miles of aspen forests most of the way from the highway to the summit of the pass.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
SnowAlien
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

highpilgrim wrote:If the aspens have started changing, that road is 12 solid miles of aspen forests most of the way from the highway to the summit of the pass.
That was my primary reason for hiking that mountain. I hear aspens are just starting to change, but still seem to be a week or so away from the peak.

I'd be also up for Cronin.
Aug_Dog
14ers: 31 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aug_Dog »

What a wonderful mountain. I hiked it this year from the east, up through the bristlecones and devil's arm chair. Ouray is an island in the sky and the views are spectacular. The basin with the bristlecones is a magical place.
Go get it
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Mt. Ouray on Sat, Sept 21

Post by jdorje »

I do not think the aspens are changing yet.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
drewski
14ers: 47  6 
13ers: 77
Trip Reports (0)

Post by drewski »

There are very few aspens changing yet. The touch of snow very high up is gone now except in between a few rocks on the shady side.
bonehead
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bonehead »

Drewski is correct.
We were on Hunt's today.
Very little fall color, but it is beginning.
We're going to give Ouray area a go in 2 weeks.
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

If you do, try up the middle, thru the armchair, to the left of the prominent white vein, a route you won't forget!
Ragin Cajun