Wildlife

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BostonBD
14ers: 22  4 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Wildlife

Post by BostonBD »

Ran into this fox today in Greenwood Village.
Attachments
Fox BD.jpg
Fox BD.jpg (156.63 KiB) Viewed 3633 times
Mark Curtis
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark Curtis »

This almost looks like what we affectionately call a "foxote" where I work. We have had them on our campus.....a mix of fox and coyote.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46092977@N07/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BostonBD
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BostonBD »

That's what we were thinking too
BostonBD
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BostonBD »

The moose that is on the move in Parker.
Attachments
Moose BD1.jpg
Moose BD1.jpg (287.54 KiB) Viewed 3525 times
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

BostonBD wrote:Image
Northern Exposure! :shock:

Some seriously nice shots on this page. Love the bald eagle. And the Cormorant. Wow, nice work! =D> :-D
sue personett
14ers: 58 
13ers: 86
Trip Reports (1)

Post by sue personett »

Foxes and coyotes do not cross breed. In fact coyotes kill foxes whenever they can. Coyotes will go after foxes' kits. I've seen it happen. That picture is one of a young coyote. If you are really having trouble with identification, you can use the eyes of both species to help. Foxes have cat like eyes. Coyotes have dog like eyes.
Namaste
Sue
BostonBD
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BostonBD »

"Foxes and coyotes do not cross breed. In fact coyotes kill foxes whenever they can. Coyotes will go after foxes' kits. I've seen it happen. That picture is one of a young coyote. If you are really having trouble with identification, you can use the eyes of both species to help. Foxes have cat like eyes. Coyotes have dog like eyes.
Namaste
Sue"

Thanks Sue, We came to the same conclusion with a discussion on Flickr. I have seen a coyote chasing a fox in our area and knew that it was a predator of fox. This "fox" is way larger than normal. It's the size of a fully grown coyote. :)
BostonBD
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BostonBD »

This summer was the first time I ran into a bear at Rocky Mountain National Park. Got this photo from about 100 feet away.
Attachments
Bear BD.jpg
Bear BD.jpg (277.8 KiB) Viewed 3940 times
BostonBD
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BostonBD »

At Rocky Mountain National Park this coyote needed snowshoes.
Attachments
Coyote Postholing BD.jpg
Coyote Postholing BD.jpg (194.74 KiB) Viewed 3992 times
Coyote BD.jpg
Coyote BD.jpg (213.35 KiB) Viewed 3992 times
Mark Curtis
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark Curtis »

sue personett wrote:Foxes and coyotes do not cross breed. In fact coyotes kill foxes whenever they can. Coyotes will go after foxes' kits. I've seen it happen. That picture is one of a young coyote. If you are really having trouble with identification, you can use the eyes of both species to help. Foxes have cat like eyes. Coyotes have dog like eyes.
Namaste
Sue
That coyotes will try to kill foxes is a prevailing theme to be sure. After reading up on other issues relating to canine crossbreeding, there also seems to be a genetic pairing problem with the possibility of a coyote/fox mix. So I would defer to your post as being accurate. However, what's puzzling is the one we had on our campus really had very distinct physical characteristics of a fox and a coyote. It had a head (and eyes) similar to BostonBD's image, but the torso was more like a fox......and even more pronounced was the very fox like tail. Not only was it a darker, more reddish color than the body/head......but it had the stereotypical tapering/curling on each end and very bushy in between.

Something else I read might be more plausible......one source mentioning the occasional mix between dog and coyote (which is genetically possible). Not suggesting BostonBD's photo is not just a young coyote as you note, just that there appears to be enough of a variation to a "typical" coyote head shape to warrant the dog/coyote possibility. That would also explain the eyes. In any case, it's a great shot.....so I will shut up. :wink:
Last edited by Mark Curtis on Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46092977@N07/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mark Curtis
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark Curtis »

......and speaking of great shots, the last two are amazing Bernie!
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Not in Colorado, but a few weeks ago I saw my first boa constrictor while hiking in the wild. It was about seven feet long and was seen while hiking in Tobago.

Full size:

http://images.summitpost.org/original/880407.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.