Blanca Group Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MountainMedic
14ers: 58  3  1 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (3)

Blanca Group Conditions

Post by MountainMedic »

Hey, all - Corey B. Vagabond and I are planning on doing the Blanca Group on Saturday with the LB-Blanca Traverse. It sounds like Blanca and Ellingwood aren't too bad, but does anyone know what LB and the traverse are like? How much rain did they get last weekend, and is there snow or ice? Any beta would be much appreciated. It's a loose route and I'd like to have a better idea of what it's like before I drive all the way down there.
jbchalk
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (54)

Re: Blanca Group Conditions

Post by jbchalk »

Medic,

Not totally sure, but looks to be dry from the Alamosa webcam: http://www.airportview.net/wx/usa/co/ka ... /index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've been debating the drive as well and whether there should be some ice/snow on the ridge itself, but I think my crew is still going for the trio Saturday. We'll be camping at Como tomorrow & Sat night, so you should stop by.

Brandon
MountainMedic
Trip Reports (3)

Post by MountainMedic »

Brandon, thanks for the info. Any idea how much rain they got during the Boulder County floods? Just wondering how chossy it'll be. We should be making it up to the Lake tomorrow night. We'll be the confused-looking gents with red backpacks and a green tent.
dehrlich101
14ers: 46  2 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (21)

Post by dehrlich101 »

It snowed on the Blanca group last night. 3in on Blanca then a dusting on the rest. When we were hiking back to the lake it looked like most of the snow was melted off by 1pm.

I'll try and post some pics either tonight or tomorrow.
jbchalk
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Wish I knew the amount of rainfall, but don't. Yep, we'll be getting into Como late tomorrow night. Hopefully, tomorrow's sun will dry things out.
jbchalk
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

dehrlich, pics would be wonderful. Much appreciated.
dehrlich101
14ers: 46  2 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (21)

Post by dehrlich101 »

Hopefully some of these help, sorry about the poor quality.. Forgot my regular camera and was using my iPhone. Good luck!

Blanca's Ridge on the morning of 9/19

Little Bear - Blanca Ridge in the morning (Too many clouds to get a good shot, Sorry)

Little Bear - Blanca Ridge around 11 am, a lot of the snow was already melting

Blanca Peak around 11 am, much of the snow had melted from the morning

Ridge

Little Bear around 11:30ish

I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in - Aldo Leopold

Support Colorado Search and Rescue - CORSAR Card

LOJ
jbchalk
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Thanks for the pics, dehrlich. Very helpful.

Cheers,
MountainMedic
Trip Reports (3)

Post by MountainMedic »

Much appreciated. Brandon, hope to see you up there. I think we're still planning on going for all three with the traverse, but we'll see what it's like once we get up there.
jbchalk
Trip Reports (54)

Post by jbchalk »

Medic, yep, I have a feeling the rock will be good and dry tomorrow - at least on the ridge itself. We'll see you up there.