Snowstorm in the Elk Range

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Re: Snowstorm in the Elk Range

Post by nyker »

North Maroon and South Maroon as well as Pyramid have a bit more snow today from yesterday. The lower half of the route on North Maroon looks dry up until about 13000 after which you have a bit of snow.
seanmstewart
14ers: 28 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by seanmstewart »

I am guessing that Forbins is right and it will probably melt, but any update from Oldschool on Capitol and the saddle?

VERY EXCITED for the weekend.
mdwoodland
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mdwoodland »

I'm interested in any updates on the Bells/traverse, as well.
“There are two kinds of climbers, those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe
uwe
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (0)

Post by uwe »

Cool.
I'll be interested in beta over the next several weeks.
Heading up with CMC group the weekend of October 5/6.
Hoping for late Indian Summer. :P

Best of luck and be safe!
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

As of 4:00 pm today, I could see no snow on Daly, the saddle, or Capital. Let the games begin! I will be up in the area too......be safe everyone.
forbins_mtn
14ers: 28  2 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by forbins_mtn »

:-D
bigredmachine
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bigredmachine »

any updates on Castle/Conundrum would also be appreciated
BOCO9
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BOCO9 »

How is Pyramid looking?
macgyver
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 123
Trip Reports (0)

Post by macgyver »

Thanks for the pics! It'll help prep for Cas/Con tomorrow morning!
-MacG
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

woo hoo!
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
forbins_mtn
Trip Reports (5)

Post by forbins_mtn »

SilverLynx wrote:Looks like Capitol will have to wait for next summer. My IBS has been acting up lately.
that sucks! i assumed with this weather you guys would have been up there. hope you feel better! i'm sure we'll meet on the mountain someday.

everyone else: let's do this! i'm heading up now. i'll be in a black shirt all weekend with a bright blue bandana.
forbins_mtn
Trip Reports (5)

Post by forbins_mtn »

SilverLynx wrote:
forbins_mtn wrote:
SilverLynx wrote:Looks like Capitol will have to wait for next summer. My IBS has been acting up lately.
that sucks! i assumed with this weather you guys would have been up there. hope you feel better! i'm sure we'll meet on the mountain someday.

everyone else: let's do this! i'm heading up now. i'll be in a black shirt all weekend with a bright blue bandana.
In all honesty I don't have IBS, I'm just extremely frustrated at how this September has played out - nada. And I'd really like to do Pyramid next weekend but as of yet I do not have a climbing partner and I'm not okay with doing it by myself. This weekend I am busy but I would love to get over to the Elk Range next week or weekend for some fall foliage action... A Saturday Elk climb followed by a Sunday just romping and taking pictures in the Twin Lakes area (Mt. Elbert) would make me happy.
i thought that was a little personal for a forum post. ha! but hell - i just figured you were cool like that. Everyone poops! But anyway - I hope you get Pyramid. I'd be up there in a second but I'm booked the next two week. September 2013 didn't even come close to September 2012 - I remember three amazing weather weekends last year.

We can only hope October turns out to be beautiful!