Kelso Ridge Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jchapell
14ers: 26 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (12)

Kelso Ridge Conditions

Post by jchapell »

Does anyone have recent beta on Kelso Ridge? We would like to try it but want to avoid iced/bad conditions this weekend.
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Kelso Ridge Conditions

Post by davebobk47 »

Woke up this morning with a fair amount of snow 12k+ on Grays and Torreys. Guessing S side of the ridge will melt out quick and will leave patches on N side of ridge. Should be reasonable conditions, just will need to be careful in places (I'm thinking immediately after the transition from knife edge onto white rock).
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
krishcane
14ers: 13 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Kelso Ridge Conditions

Post by krishcane »

I did Kelso Ridge to the summit of Torreys once last year, and I planned to climb it again yesterday with two friends, but when we got to the trailhead, things were covered in ice and the summits had snow above 13K. We opted to hike Grays instead and I climbed Kelso Peak via the grassy slopes on the way back. I checked out Kelso Ridge from that good vantage point. There is definitely snow up there in shady pockets and on the north side, and I would expect some ice where things melted and refroze. The ice on parts of the trail of Grays was that rock-hard transparent kind.

Maybe today would be (would have been, since it's 10 am now...) okay and navigable on Kelso Ridge, but I wouldn't do it tomorrow because of the forecast.