Grand Canyon Rim to Rim to Rim

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SteveBonowski
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Grand Canyon Rim to Rim to Rim

Post by SteveBonowski »

Couple options: in May, 1991, did the R-R-R in 22 1/2 hours walking. I did jog about 100 yards so I could say I ran part of it (LOL). Left South Rim at 4 AM on the Bright Angel to Indian Gardens; across the Tonto Trail to the "Tip-Off" (junction with S. Kaibab Trail). Then down the South Kaibab to the river and Phantom Ranch, crossing on the black bridge. Up and back on the North Kaibab. Cross on the silver bridge and return along the River Trail and up the Bright Angel Trail to the South Rim. Total mileage and elevation on this course: 50 miles and 11,000'+ of vertical gain. Other CMCers have also done this particular route.

#2: the five day option (from Denver). Days 1 & 5 are travel days from Denver to Vegas and car rental. It's a 4 hour drive to the South Rim. Cross the Canyon on Day #2 taking the first morning shuttle out to the S. Kaibab Trailhead. Down the S. Kaibab and up the North Kaibab to the Rim. Distance was 20.2 miles, as I recall, and 6,000' of vertical gain, not including about 1 1/2 miles from the trailhead to the Lodge office. Try to get a ride.

Day 3 is rest day, staying at the Grand Canyon Lodge cabins (closes in October); Day 4 is return, taking a shuttle out to the N. Kaibab trailhead. Mileage is about 21 and elevation is roughly 5,000'. There is a hill below Cottonwood
Campground on the North Kaibab that the trail goes up and over. About 200' on either side.

Enjoy.
anthony156
Trip Reports (2)

Post by anthony156 »

Hey All,

Thanks for those responses, very helpful. I'm thinking the South Rim to North Rim day 1, then back for day 2 is a good option.

My goal is to avoid the zoo I keep hearing about (Phantom Ranch) but the group consensus might go against this.

The next option is the
AndyJB444 wrote:Re: Grand Canyon Rim to Rim to Rim
by AndyJB444 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:12 pm
Done something similar - we did 2 nights down in the canyon starting from the south rim. Day 1: S. Kaibab -> Cottonwood, Day 2: Cottonwood -> North Rim (going light) -> Phantom Ranch, Day 3: Phantom Ranch -> Bright Angel
I like that option because it seems like we could spend some more time with that scenery. As much as I would like to do the single day, I don't think we'll be quick enough. I'm thinking the SR to start sounds good since we will be driving out from San Diego.

Has anyone had issues with the permits? I'm thinking if we go mid October it shouldn't be too difficult.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson
anthony156
Trip Reports (2)

Post by anthony156 »

Dex wrote:
anthony156 wrote:
My goal is to avoid the zoo I keep hearing about (Phantom Ranch) but the group consensus might go against this.
i stayed at the PR twice - in late Sept. I didn't see it as a Zoo - beer, showers, clean water, snacks, food, beer.

It is only 6.3 mil to PH via the Kailbab trail - most take the Bright Angel up - and 32 mi to the NR.
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=243395" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It looks like a nice route.
That's a relief then, from the stories I've read I kept getting a vision of making it down there and seeing enough crowds to rival Disneyland. Sounds like a good pitstop and there's beer.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson
KizH
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Grand Canyon Rim to River to Rim

Post by KizH »

Hi, Anthony-

Rim-to-River-to-Rim is a doable hike, especially in September or October.

In May of 2012 there was a window of unseasonably cool weather and I used it to go
down to the river via South Kaibab. I walked across to Phantom Ranch and headed
back up Bright Angel.

That day, there was no water at Phantom Ranch, so I carried about a gallon of water
with me, as well as about 4,000 calories worth of snacks. (They say that hiking
the canyon can cost between 3,000 and 6,000 calories). I used a Camelbak and
took the bladder out of a second Camelbak and carried that, too. (By the time
I reached the halfway point of Bright Angel on the way up, I was giving food away,)

I started at about 4:30 a.m., spent 1/2 hour with my feet in the creek at Phantom
Ranch (take moleskin and clippers and sanitizer and clean socks and clean your
feet thoroughly if you plan to soak them in the creek!) I finished at about 11:00 pm
the same night. I'd say my biggest mistake was leaving Phantom Ranch in the heat
of the day. Devil's Corkscrew, the most sun-baked and rocked-in part of Bright
Angel Trail, slowed me down quite a bit despite temperatures in the 70-80F range

I agree with the post-er who said to get a ride from the Lodge at the top of
Bright Angel to the trailhead at South Kaibab
if you are going to attempt the South Kaibab down, Bright Angel
up route.

As a yardstick for your own fitness, know I had driven straight out from Indiana
the two days before the hike, and that I was about 60 lbs. above my optimal
body weight at the time.

It's a super hike, and very do-able, especially in the Fall if
you are prepared and careful.

Looking forward to a trip report!
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

October is a popular time, so you definitely want to look into permits asap, if it is not too late already. There is also the possibility of a walk up permit when you arrive due to cancellations, but that is never a guarantee (though I hear of it working out quite often and it has worked for us).

Another option, if you were debating carrying heavy backpack gear or could not get last minute overnight permits, is to just fastpack it, go somewhat light, bring lights, lots of food, nap when necessary. I have experienced the Grand Canyon as a backpacker and have also gone light and I find it much more enjoyable not to be burdened by a heavy pack. It seems like a pretty average range for hiking the RRR is in the 17-24 hour range depending on fitness. Quicker than 17 will require minimal stops and perhaps a bit of jogging on the downhills and flatter sections.

Good luck!
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

We did a spontaneous overnight (lucky-ish walk-in permit) at Bright Angel Campground - down one day and up the next. With ~30lb packs it took 4 hours down (SK - my knee was swollen, it was slow) and 5 hours up (BA - really damn long along the lower portion). I'd say overall effort of south-rim-to-river-to-south-rim is a bit less than the longer 14ers. Obviously there's no technical difficulty, as it's all on trail - it is longer - but there is a lot more oxygen. My understanding is the north rim is significantly further than the south rim, and if you're doing rim-to-rim on back to back days that might be like hiking massive and elbert back to back. Sun is a killer.
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
Bill G
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bill G »

3 days is about right. It's been quite a few years since I did this but my trip got be into the book Over the Edge, Death in Grand Canyon. Not something I was expecting.

Anyway, I would not try something a bit easier than R to R on day 1. Going down SK and then camping at Cottonwood. CW is about 7 miles from PR but only about 1500' gain. Then the 2nd day to NR and either back to CW or PR. 3rd day to SR via Bright Angel. This gives you water and rest where you need it.
mtn_nut
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 35 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtn_nut »

Andrew skurka has some good info on his site, including this databook - http://andrewskurka.com/wp-content/uplo ... tabook.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://andrewskurka.com/adventures/gran ... im-to-rim/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I plan on running the 44 mile route SK to NK to BA this fall, probably around the end of october or the first weekend of november.
Ross_Browne
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ross_Browne »

This is purely subjective, but I think the South Kaibab Trail is more scenic than the Bright Angel Trail. On the South Kaibab, you descend along a very exposed ridge, with spectacular, long distance views on all sides. The Bright Angel, in contrast, drops down into a side canyon so you are basically looking up at the walls of the side canyon rather than out onto the full expanse of the Grand Canyon. Of course they are both spectacular, and the Bright Angel is an awesome example of a steep, narrow side canyon with flowing water and a green riparian habitat at the bottom... but nothing beats the views from the South Kaibab Trail. In general, SK is just much more exposed and airy, and the views are constantly spectacular. The view from the Tipoff is especially vertigo-inducing.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

SK is 100x better than BA, unless you relish millions if Germans and pools if mule piss. You can get down it easily in under 3 hours, 2 if you jog some. Then skip PR and go to Cottonwood camp. Rest there if you must. Then up and down NK. Try to work in the short side trip to Ribbon Falls. It's worth it
SHmids
14ers: 58  4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SHmids »

I'm looking at mid-April of next year for this trip, one-way, south to north, with as much of the time spent running as possible. Obviously weather cannot be fully predicted, but does that sound too early in the year? I don't mind if it is cooler as long as there are water sources available.
AndyJB444
14ers: 16  1 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndyJB444 »

There's a VERY good chance the North Rim won't be open yet in mid-April (It didn't open this year until May 15th). Expect a long hike/run out to the nearest road on the north side...then enjoy a 5-6 hour drive back to the South Rim. :-D

I would push it back until the North Rim is open and shuttle service between the two sides is running.