Snowstorm in the Elk Range

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Snowstorm in the Elk Range

Post by Dan_Suitor »

Any more updates from the field? I was going to do Pyramid on Sunday, but will probably put it off till the following weekend unless things improve drastically. Castle/Conundrum could also be an option for Sunday, if the weather improves enough. Anybody have insight on how safe Castle/Conundrum is if it's still wet?
Thanks
Dan
Century Bound, eventually.
gonzalj
14ers: 40  1 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (11)

Post by gonzalj »

Hey Dan,

Well it hasn't rained that much today and at times has been sunny. However, the elks have gotten a decent amount of rain this week and right now I simply wouldn't trust the rock on pyramid, the bells or any of the other class 3/4 peaks around here. Castle/Conundrum is easier and a little more forgiving, but the talus & scree on that peak are loose as well and my opinion would be just so postpone for better weather as most of the days up here have been cloudy & rain a fairly decent percentage of the time (mornings, afternoons & night time).
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

Thanks for the info Jorge. Guess I'll wait a week for this one and go with option number 3, watching football and drinking beer :iluvbeer:
Century Bound, eventually.
seanmstewart
14ers: 28 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by seanmstewart »

Any update on snow on Capitol? Want to attempt it this weekend, but don't really want to mess with that K2 traverse if there is going to be ice or snow on the route, might as well save it to next year.
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

as of this morning, Monday the 16th, there's no snow on capital. I can see the summit from my job in Basalt.
seanmstewart
14ers: 28 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by seanmstewart »

oldschool wrote:as of this morning, Monday the 16th, there's no snow on capital. I can see the summit from my job in Basalt.
Thanks. :-D
oldschool
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

big storms moved through the Basalt and Aspen area in area last night but still no snow on capital!
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

Snowed today on the Crested Butte side of the elks...
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Capitol has some fresh white on it after today...
oldschool
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

As of 3:00 pm today, Wed, I could see no snow on Capital, Daley, or the Daley saddle. That might have changed after that time. I will report in the morning. I will bring binoculars to work to get a better look.
forbins_mtn
14ers: 28  2 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by forbins_mtn »

Thank you guys for looking out. I'm not too worried as Friday will be sunny enough to melt anything away before sat but keep the info coming! This is great
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

not sure if hail or snow, but the peaks were definitely frosted white yesterday evening and this morning in the elks.
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;