Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Flooding Tragedy

Colorado wildfires and flooding

Re: Flooding Tragedy

Postby Dark Helmet » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:53 am

sooooo, I guess we'd have to come over from the west side...

assuming they can start getting deliveries into town for groceries...

Postby djkest » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:57 am

Dark Helmet wrote:sooooo, I guess we'd have to come over from the west side...

Are you supposed to be going there soon? Looks like the only way in is Trail Ridge road on the back side, and that is also questionable at this point.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby madbuck » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:05 am

djkest wrote:

Are you supposed to be going there soon? Looks like the only way in is Trail Ridge road on the back side, and that is also questionable at this point.

Sorry, I think you were looking forward to vacation! Estes is still going to be quite messy and need a lot of help...your lodging may be impacted, in addition to keeping an eye Trail Ridge weather for access.
IIRC, you were looking at hiking YCC? Old Fall River Rd is also closed, which would add a few miles to your hike. I might throw out something like Mt. Ida (Cheley, Cracktop) as a similar alternative that starts on pavement.
But you'll have to keep an eye on things which are going to change daily and hourly...happy to make suggestions via PM or a separate thread as things unfold.

Postby matt pierce » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:15 am

While I feel bad for anyone who was tragically affected by the floods I can't help but not feel sorry for many.

This morning on the news the very first question to the governor was: "what do you say to those without flood insurance?"

I don't remember his reply - something about bailing everyone out - his answer SHOULD have been: "you should have had flood insurance"

Now - as with everything else - we get to bail out all those that weren't prepared. And I'm not talking about rescuing people, delivering medications to elderly etc.

I am talking about that young lady on 7 news yesterday who got caught in flood waters trying to walk to the 7 Eleven in Aurora because she needed an energy drink and smokes...some random dude had to save her...

I am sorry for those that had legitimate losses and suffering - tragic

These days we are far too attached to our $6 latte's, reality TV, and "stuff"

Simplify your lives people and get back to the basics and try to be a little more prepared from now on - like for when it starts snowing ](*,)

And in case you're wondering - I live above Conifer and YES I have fire and other insurance - and no I'm not wealthy - I'm just prepared - if I get trapped by a fire or landslide through no fault of my own yes please help me - but if I don't do fire mitigation on my property etc and my house burns to the ground I will NOT be asking you for a handout...I will take my losses like a man, get some insurance money and replace the gear and few things I own...

Postby Dark Helmet » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:16 am

djkest wrote:

supposed to leave tuesday morning.

trying to find an alternate location, but not coming up with much. need good hiking, kinda like RMNP, within 10hr drive (~600miles) of Lincoln, NE....

wow... just... wow.

Postby iholdthepain » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:26 am

Looks like vacationing in EP is not happening, man. Sorry!

Also, let's please wait for the waters to subside and the damage to be assessed before we get all preachy and holier than thou... This is starting to happen on this thread, as well as another unfolding situation. Time and Place, people!
To quote the great Paul Petzoldt,

“…Some people say that experience is the best teacher. To heck with that. I know people who have been making the same mistakes for forty years.”

Postby rijaca » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:27 am

Matt, go take a hike, er, climb.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby matt pierce » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:36 am

rijaca wrote:Matt, go take a hike, er, climb.

Very thoughtful response

You make my points for me... =D>

Postby Kiefer » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:39 am

Helmet,
I'd recommend NOT coming to Estes. Don't clog up what streets we already have. Many roads in town are barricaded off. RMNP is allowing folks to drive through w/o a fee to flee Estes. 36 is shut down. 34 is shut down. 7 is shut down. The erosion on the sides of the road and hillsides is jaw-dropping. Try looking at someplace else like the Snowy Range in southern Wyoming. Skip the whole Front Range.
I have video I took this morning on my phone but no way to upload it.

Postby metalmountain » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:42 am

To steer this away from where this conversation was going...

If any of my Boulder/Longmont friends (or even those I don't know) need help with ANYTHING. Just message me. I could get a group of folks to come help clean up or whatever it is you might need in no time at all. Seriously, anything at all. Even if its just to bring by some beer and talk about how crappy this all is.
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

Postby djkest » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:43 am

Dark Helmet wrote:supposed to leave tuesday morning.

trying to find an alternate location, but not coming up with much. need good hiking, kinda like RMNP, within 10hr drive (~600miles) of Lincoln, NE....

wow... just... wow.

Sangre De Cristos I think are doing OK. Northern NM around Taos also.

Wind River or Snowy Range in Wyoming.
Loveland_flooding.jpg
Loveland_flooding.jpg (91.64 KiB) Viewed 329 times

Another shot of I-25 in Loveland.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby metalmountain » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:53 am

djkest wrote:
Dark Helmet wrote:supposed to leave tuesday morning.

wow... just... wow.

Sangre De Cristos I think are doing OK. Northern NM around Taos also.

Wind River or Snowy Range in Wyoming.
Loveland_flooding.jpg

Another shot of I-25 in Loveland.

Yeahhh...getting to Wyoming may be a chore for a while as well. I think they closed I25 all the way to the Wyoming border now.
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

PreviousNext