No Name Creek to Ruby Creek Beta

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

No Name Creek to Ruby Creek Beta

Post by mattpayne11 »

Hello,

Heading out to tackle Jagged / Turret / Pigeon soon and was hoping someone could give a little beta on the hike/transfer/pack from No Name over to Ruby Creek. How tough is this in a heavy-ish pack? Can you tackle Monitor on the way over with ease? Thanks for your suggestions/thoughts!
Floyd
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Re: No Name Creek to Ruby Creek Beta

Post by Floyd »

It's actually quite easy. I'm not sure how to spot the trail coming up to Ruby but going the other way would be very straightforward. Here is my TR from a few years ago going from Ruby to Chicago Basin that'll help you with the Ruby side of it. I have more pictures of that drainage and the trail. PM me with your e-mail if you would like to see them.

Monitor on the way would be aggressive, but Peak 12 is practically a gimmie. Here is Lord Helmut's TR of tacking the Monotor group before the train. You better be fast to go that route though.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
viejo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by viejo »

The pack out of No-name to Ruby is not a problem. Take the drainage that passes under Monitor that takes you to the No-name/Monitor pass. Some years ago there was a bit of a social trail. No difficulties with a pack. I ended up staying at the tarn just below the No-name pass, then day-hiked down from there for Pigeon/Turret.
mattpayne11
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

Thanks guys, just the news I was hoping for!
mtnfiend
14ers: 34  14  2 
13ers: 181 58 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by mtnfiend »

I'd say if you're going to climb monitor then climb 13 and animas. I thought 13 and animas were substantially more fun than monitor......but that's just me.
Didn't I ever tell you.....Bumble's bounce!!!

http://exploringtherockies.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.berthoudpass.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
@snow_nerd