Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Blodgett Peak (Colorado Springs) reopened

Colorado 14ers access and fee issues only, please

Blodgett Peak (Colorado Springs) reopened

Postby Wilderness_hike » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:09 pm

For those in the Colorado Springs area the Blodgett Peak Open Space Area recently reopened. http://gazette.com/reclaimed-blodgett-peak-area-re-opens-saturday/article/1505554 I summitted Blodgett today via the trail to the boulder field followed by scrambling up the boulder field and it was a great climb. There were a few areas where I climbed through burn scar, and I have the charcoal marks on my clothes to prove it, but nothing that I would consider worrisome.

Re: Blodgett Peak (Colorado Springs) reopened

Postby SpringsHiker » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:17 pm

Thanks for posting as I was wondering how it was to get up Blodgett. I read that they made some improvements to the trail; how did it look?
"I am not a fizzy yellow beer drinking ninny!"

Postby jeffskio » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:01 pm

I just hiked it sunday. I really didn't see any improvements in the trail. Just go up the main gully and you will come to a saddle and then head up to the right. The trail is steep and loose.

Postby powhound » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:58 am

Glad to hear it is open again! Unless this would cause burn scar/erosion issues, try this route for a fun loop. From a short way up the main drainage trail, work your way up toward the end of the east ridge via a patchwork of steep game trails/faint hiking paths that go between some of the eastern most rock towers. Then enjoy a very easy scramble/hike along the rocky ridge to the summit. Probably best to descend the standard route.

On this note ... of local mountains reopening ... access to Eagles Peak (right behind the Air Force Academy) reopened about a month ago. If you are not familiar with this, Summit Post has some info. You have to be in and out of the AFA gates between 8 and 6. Always best to call the visitor center and check up to the minute security levels before heading out though, as they will close access for higher level security periods. Great view of the Academy from up there.
AFA from Eagles Pk..JPG
AFA from Eagles Pk..JPG (139.55 KiB) Viewed 257 times

Postby EatinHardtack » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:09 am

Good to hear this area has re-opened. Blodgett Pk has been a go to hike for me for a while now. Last year was the first time I haven't made it to the summit in about 5-6 years. It will be good to get back up there.

Postby SpringsHiker » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:23 am

powhound wrote:Glad to hear it is open again! Unless this would cause burn scar/erosion issues, try this route for a fun loop. From a short way up the main drainage trail, work your way up toward the end of the east ridge via a patchwork of steep game trails/faint hiking paths that go between some of the eastern most rock towers. Then enjoy a very easy scramble/hike along the rocky ridge to the summit. Probably best to descend the standard route.

On this note ... of local mountains reopening ... access to Eagles Peak (right behind the Air Force Academy) reopened about a month ago. If you are not familiar with this, Summit Post has some info. You have to be in and out of the AFA gates between 8 and 6. Always best to call the visitor center and check up to the minute security levels before heading out though, as they will close access for higher level security periods. Great view of the Academy from up there.

powhound, I have done the alternate route you mention up the east side of Blodgett; we also crossed over and climbed to the top of the ridge behind Blodgett, which I believe is 60' higher. Glad to here Eagles Peak is open again; I enjoy that climb too.

Postby powhound » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:51 am

SpringsHiker wrote:powhound, I have done the alternate route you mention up the east side of Blodgett; we also crossed over and climbed to the top of the ridge behind Blodgett, which I believe is 60' higher.

I have gone over there too. Some fun rocks to play on along the way. From a distance though, it looks like that area may have gotten badly scorched? What I really would like to do someday, is hike the northeast ridge and check out the plane wreckage along the way. That would require a bushwhack adventure accessed from the south end of the AFA, which as far as I know, has been closed for a long time. :(

Postby SpringsHiker » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:06 pm

I was not aware the south end of the AFA was closed, other than that related to the fire. Now with Blodgett opened and Eagle Peak opening, that should make it accessible again. In fact, on the lower part of Blodgett, if you traverse over to the north on some older but still defined trails, you pass signs noting you are entering the AFA. You may know all that, but I thought with the recent changes this would all be accesible again.

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:38 pm

No, the USAF is still afraid that terrorists will hike Stanley Canyon or bike on the interior Academy roads. Good thing we have all this treasured freedom, still.

West Monument Creek trail was an interesting way to climb Blodgett Peak, via the "water tank" ridge that has plane wreckage on it. Pity we can't go there any more without a military ID.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.