Free solo Ships Prow Tower?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
krishcane
14ers: 13 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (3)

Free solo Ships Prow Tower?

Post by krishcane »

Hi there,

I want to climb Ships Prow Tower, by the easiest route. I plan to hike up the Loft couloir (which I've done a few times before), turn right, approach the tower, and find the easiest ascent.

I'm trying to figure out whether I feel confident doing the actual tower without rope. I'm reading from various reports (eg. http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=8553" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) that the last bit is anywhere from 20 feet to 30 feet of somewhere between 5.0 and 5.4 climbing. Something I read mentioned a chimney? It sounded relatively unexposed.

I feel pretty confident going up something of that level if it's accurate, but I'd love to hear more from anyone that has done it, and whether you felt a rappel was really needed. If you did rappel, I assume there's no rap station up there - was there anything for a sling, or did you need a cam?

Thanks!
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Re: Free solo Ships Prow Tower?

Post by Kiefer »

Ships Prow Tower? Do you mean Zumie's Thumb?
Hardly 5.easy
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Hey Krish,
I was one of the climbers mentioned in that report, it was a fun day. We humped the usual light adventure rack with us, not knowing what to expect, and ended up completing a very easy alpine scramble with limited exposure. I think we'd already broken out the rope for the ascent, but can't recall if we actually plugged gear in; once the rope was out a rap just seemed faster than a more tedious down climb. As I recall there were blocks/horns to rap from, it wasn't a sketchy rappel. With 20/20 hindsight I'd now feel comfortable going ropeless, but of course I have no idea about your comfort level and we had perfect weather conditions. FWIW, I do recall that there were some loose blocks up there, SPT gets relatively little traffic for that area.

Hope that helps, have fun and be safe.

-Tom
krishcane
14ers: 13 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (3)

Post by krishcane »

Tom, that's perfect. Thank you - sounds like a fun adventure. I'll bring climbing shoes but probably skip the rope as long as the weather is good.