Colorado Trail through Breck?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Colorado Trail through Breck?

Post by djkest »

Heading to Breck in 4 weeks. While eyeing the topo map, I found a trail that goes from Highway 9 North of Breck, to Highway 91 near Copper Mountain. It turns out it's the Colorado Trail! It also looks like Peak 5 is a quick climb from the saddle. Has anyone done this section as a little dayhike, and what did you think of it? Is the trail mostly class 1?
Colorado_trail1.jpg
Colorado_trail1.jpg (200.9 KiB) Viewed 871 times
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
matt pierce
14ers: 39 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Colorado Trail through Breck?

Post by matt pierce »

Ive done it

That should be the Gold Hill TH on the Breck side. This is an awesome hike but quite steep in places - pretty much the entire CT is class 1...

Go for it :-D
matt pierce
Trip Reports (1)

Post by matt pierce »

Also - if I'm not mistaken you can take the Summit County shuttle bus (free) to get back to your car - either direction - I've looked into this but haven't done it - I hiked this as an out and back...
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

matt pierce wrote:Also - if I'm not mistaken you can take the Summit County shuttle bus (free) to get back to your car - either direction - I've looked into this but haven't done it - I hiked this as an out and back...
Did you go down and back over, or did you turn around at the crest of the pass? Thanks for the info.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
matt pierce
Trip Reports (1)

Post by matt pierce »

Down and back over...it's a lot of gain...
epacalicious
14ers: 58  1  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by epacalicious »

It's all class 1 from the Gold Hill TH over the pass and down to Copper Mtn. Around 12 miles, with a couple thousand feet of elevation gained & lost - if I remember correctly... Great views of the resevoir from the top.

And as matt pierce said, you can take the Summit Stage bus from Copper back to the Tiger Run stop on the way to Breck. My brother did this segment of the CT with me last summer and it worked out perfect for him to get back to his car at the TH.
Mountains are the means, the man is the end. The goal is not to reach the tops of mountains, but to improve the man ~ Walter Bonatti
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Do yourself a favor and ride your bike over that section. 8)
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

Miner's creek is steep and loose, but yeah, still class 1. You could also loop it with the wheeler trail back to breck. My CT page.

Edit- What Skared said.
onepeakatatime
Trip Reports (1)

Post by onepeakatatime »

I have done this segment of the Colorado trail in reverse from Cooper Mountain to Frisco. It is definitely all Class 1, but going west to east the trail is much steeper going up, with a number of "false summits". The views at the top are spectacular and the bus ride back to Cooper Mountain perfect! All in all it was a great hike, although a little boring and tedious on the last part of the trail into Frisco. I am a slow hiker, so it was an approximate 13 mile hike in 15 1/2 hours.
matt pierce
Trip Reports (1)

Post by matt pierce »

Ive got pics of this segment I can post for you in the next few days if that helps...
siop
Trip Reports (0)

Post by siop »

I ran this section from Copper to Breck. I parked at Copper and instead of just running to Tiger Run I got on the Peaks trail and ran all the way into Breck (that's where I was staying). Then I took the Summit Stage to pick up my car. It worked out well. It was all class 1, but when I was there in early Oct the Breck side had a decent amount of snow. I was knee deep in quite a few places, but nothing that required microspikes/traction.
iPhone photos 202.JPG
iPhone photos 202.JPG (138.62 KiB) Viewed 614 times
This was cresting the top before dropping back down to the Breck side. Have fun! We had a great time!
"because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing the lawn. climb that goddamn mountain" -jack kerouac

"here is your chance to find your own way. go on your own. be adventuresome. don't forever seek the easiest way. go the way you find. don't demand trail signs and sturdy bridges. don't demand we show you the mountains. see them and find them yourself. here's your chance to get lost, fall in the creek, find a beautiful place." -randy morgenson