Weminuche Creek water quality

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Weminuche Creek water quality

Post by oldschoolczar »

I know there's some issues with heavy metals in this area.. does anyone know if the water from Wetterhorn Creek and the Weminuche Pass area in general is safe to drink?
Last edited by oldschoolczar on Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski
Aug_Dog
14ers: 31 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Wetterhorn Creek water quality

Post by Aug_Dog »

I can't say whether it safe or not, but I remember looking at it and thinking, "no way I would drink that water." But, to each his own ...
Go get it
Gareth
14ers: 25 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gareth »

Nine years ago I drank water out of the creek at Weminuche Pass (near Rio Grande Pyramid) and I'm still alive.
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James
jeremy27
14ers: 36  3 
13ers: 67 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jeremy27 »

For whatever reasons I can't seem to post the direct links but search the forum for a post called "Uncompahgre and Wetterhorn Logistics" and post called "Uncompahgre wilderness water"
should answer your questions.
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Fisching »

Camp Gladiator was there last year, so that might be the bigger concern to water quality.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."
San Juan Ron
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by San Juan Ron »

The water at Weminuche Pass is fine as is most of the water in the area. However, there are a couple of creeks around Wetterhorn that are laced with heavy minerals and you might want to avoid those creeks. I have drank from those creeks and not had any problems, but wouldn't recommend it unless you didn't have any alternatives. SJ Ron :)
screeman57
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 79 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screeman57 »

You can tell if the water's bad by the rock discoloration around the streambed. There was a good thread on this last year:

http://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35703
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
Roald
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Roald »

Fisching wrote:Camp Gladiator was there last year, so that might be the bigger concern to water quality.

While filtering water I saw something float by and I figured maybe someone had accidentally dropped a Baby Ruth in the creek. Forgot about the CG visit, now I know what it really was.
chrismjx wrote:

Roald, in that one sentence you managed to demonstrate that A) you're an idiot and B) you're a hypocrite, and a perfect example of the cause of the modern-day problems in this country.
oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldschoolczar »

Oh.. I meant Weminuche Creek, not Wetterhorn :oops: I'd seen that thread before, very interesting!
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski
gdthomas
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Weminuche Creek water quality

Post by gdthomas »

The water in Weminuche Creek is fine as mountain streams go. I'd still use a purifier, filter, etc., however.