Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Bags of poop beside the trail?

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please.

Re: Bags of poop beside the trail?

Postby Dex » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:02 am

CorduroyCalves wrote:
Dex wrote:Why don't they just push the poop off the trail with a stick or something.

If they are going to carry out poop, whey not pick up all the deer and other animal poop?

Well, deer live in the wilderness and domestic dogs don't.

I'm with globreal in that I pick up trash that less courteous people leave, rather than ignoring it. No, I'm not applying for sainthood, but the effort to pick up trash isn't really much more than the effort to ignore it.

Really, how does living accommodations affect which poop gets picked up?

Dog living in house or apartment - yes

Deer living in house or apartment - yes

Homeless dog or deer - no

Deer living in a motel or hotel ... ?
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby screeman57 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:19 am

Maybe they are marking the route with bright blue poo bags so they can find their way back? \:D/
"Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was." -Dag Hammarskjold

Postby Jmbiller » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:50 am

Its the new alternative to survey flagging!

I actually bag my dogs poop and she carries it around in her backpack and it gets tossed when i get home. I used to not bag her poop and actually never bagged the poop of my previous dog. But some NFS employees asked me to one time to bag her poop, and ive been doing it since. Plus its a habit, you do it when walking everywhere else why not when hiking.

I dont understand the leaving it by the trail though, i think people do that with the intention of picking it up on the way back, but on the way back just walk by it and leave it because they don't want to be bothered or think its gross carrying poop in their backpacks and they know a good person (probably a 14ers.com member) who actually loves the outdoors will pick it up for them.

Postby tlongpine » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:22 am

Might be human waste.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby James Dziezynski » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:19 am

Better hire the Poopsmith!

poopsmith.jpg
poopsmith.jpg (4.97 KiB) Viewed 985 times
Check out my book Best Summit Hikes in Colorado at http://amzn.to/WKkWOH

Postby SikYou » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:25 am

I don't particularly like dogs, I definitely don't like dog poop bags littering the trail, and even worse is the overwhelming smell of dog crap lingering in the air on popular trails. Some people have really lost sight of what being in the wilderness (or just outside at a park) is all about.

Please pick up your crap, your dogs crap, your trash, your water bottles, and your food wrappers. Please stop throwing frisbees and golf balls from summits. Please stop leaving signs and food bags on summits. Please stay on the trail. This stuff is not difficult, stop making it difficult!
"Is it an up hill hike all the way to the summit?" Brian L.

Postby rlovingjr » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:49 am

globreal wrote:I was once taugh a valuable life-lesson by a former employer: if you see a problem, you now own it. Whenever possible, I try to live my life that way.

My Grandfather taught me a similar lesson. "If you borrow something bring it back better than you found it." I like to apply to hiking trails, camp sites and other things I encounter in my daily routine. Trash on a trail or in a camp site is picked up and packed out with the rest of my stuff. I would not apply this philosophy to poop bags, liquid filled bottles or TP unless I was geared up and prepared to do that type of clean up.

Postby Le Marmot » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:10 pm

SikYou wrote:I don't particularly like dogs, I definitely don't like dog poop bags littering the trail, and even worse is the overwhelming smell of dog crap lingering in the air on popular trails. Some people have really lost sight of what being in the wilderness (or just outside at a park) is all about.

Please pick up your crap, your dogs crap, your trash, your water bottles, and your food wrappers. Please stop throwing frisbees and golf balls from summits. Please stop leaving signs and food bags on summits. Please stay on the trail. This stuff is not difficult, stop making it difficult!

++1!
It's got ELECTROLYTES!

Postby Repeat Ascender » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:44 pm

Postby mountainjock » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:56 am

I pack the poo bags out. Common sense really. However, I did a few peaks maybe three or four weeks ago, then I got busy taking care of a passing family member. I went into the gear room last night, and sure enough I forgot the poo bag from the last trip!!!!! :wft: Better to stink up the basement than the wilderness I guess!!!!!

Postby ewaag23 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:26 pm

SikYou wrote:
I don't particularly like dogs, I definitely don't like dog poop bags littering the trail, and even worse is the overwhelming smell of dog crap lingering in the air on popular trails. Some people have really lost sight of what being in the wilderness (or just outside at a park) is all about.

+1.

Postby aaronmojica » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:15 am

I really didn't want to open this thread, much less participate, but did anyway. I use the blue WAG bag system and have found it a bit unpleasant on the hike out, especially in hot summer months. To remedy this I bought some scent blocking bags, I think Depends makes them, and they really work. You can forget about them in the gear room for weeks.

PreviousNext