Pikes Peak Movie Filming

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
clemsonmtneer
14ers: 35  6 
13ers: 23 6
Trip Reports (15)

Re: Pikes Peak Movie Filming

Post by clemsonmtneer »

colorado yooper wrote:Clemson- the Pikes Peak Hwy is managed by teh City of Colorado Springs not the Forest Service. And while I still wait to see Chris D's movie he did use a video camera in a Wilderness Area which is against the rules, as is using anything with wheels or motors. That's what makes it wilderness. Unless we had special permission we couldn't use chainsaws to fight a wildfire in a wilderness area but were limited to hand tools. I wonder if they need a permit to drive on the road from COS and then another permit from the USFS to crash a car off the road. I wonder if it will be stunt doubles and the stars? It could be a fun time to hike for autographs... Paul Walker was the pace car driver for the Pikes Peak Hill Climb a couple of years ago and was pretty smooth on his way to the top.

You're right, I totally forgot it was a wilderness area issue and not a National Forest issue. (I'll blame the early hour and lack of caffeine :lol: ). As for Davenport's movie... it did get posted online several months ago, although I'm not sure whether it was just a temporary release or if it's still available.
George Kaplan
14ers: 33  1 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by George Kaplan »

I was just reading on the Gazette's site that the highway and north slopes area is to be closed on Friday, Sept. 6 and Tuesday, Sept. 10, rather than Sept. 6 through the 10th. I think that they are still planning to keep the highway open for tourism/hiking over the weekend.

http://coloradosprings.com/pikes-peak-c ... le/1505304" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

clemsonmtneer wrote:Ridiculous that a Fast and Furious movie can be filmed on forest service land atop a 14k peak, yet Chris Davenport is prohibited by the forest service from releasing his ski the 14ers film and making money off of it.
Permits, son.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

The filmmakers have to be paying ridiculously large amounts of money to the highway organization (i.e. the city of Colorado Springs) to close it. It's always been a commercial venture, after all.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

George Kaplan wrote:I was just reading on the Gazette's site that the highway and north slopes area is to be closed on Friday, Sept. 6 and Tuesday, Sept. 10, rather than Sept. 6 through the 10th. I think that they are still planning to keep the highway open for tourism/hiking over the weekend.

http://coloradosprings.com/pikes-peak-c ... le/1505304" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I do believe you are correct. I should read more carefully.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

colorado yooper wrote: ... And while I still wait to see Chris D's movie...
Wait no longer.

Kojones
14ers: 25 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Kojones »

We may never see the result of this. Paul Walker died in a car crash yesterday. Movie wasn't finished filming yet. RIP.

Kojones
Climbing partner: "Is this uphill the whole way?"
Kojones: "No, only half the hike is uphill."