Pikes Peak Movie Filming

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Pikes Peak Movie Filming

Post by CO Native »

The Pikes Peak highway will be closed September 4th and 5th from Glen Cove to the summit, and then from the 6th through the 10th the North Slope Recreation Area access to the Summit will be closed. This is for filming of another Fast and Furious movie. The forest service has not announce any closure of any forest service land on Pikes Peak for this yet. That means the trails will remain open for hiking, though crossing the Pikes Peak Highway on the Crags route would likely be a problem. Barr trail will remain open with no issues. The Cog Railway will continue to run as well.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
Delorean_Man
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Pikes Peak Movie Filming

Post by Delorean_Man »

That is just what the world needs, another fast and furious movie. At least the cars keep getting cooler with every movie it seems. Still no Delorean though. :?
I would rather sit on a mountain and think about God than sit in church and think about the mountains.
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

Delorean_Man wrote:That is just what the world needs, another fast and furious movie. At least the cars keep getting cooler with every movie it seems. Still no Delorean though. :?
That's cause they only feature fast cars. :p (well that isn't necessarily true, they had Honda Civics in #1)

But in all seriousness, this is awesome. It makes me want to actually see FF7 now.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

We drove up the highway a couple times last week, and saw a crew on one of the curves between Glen Cove and timberline, doing something that involved a bunch of ramps. I'm guessing they'll be going around curves on two wheels, flying through the air, etc. I wonder if they have the budget and/or permission to re-stage this:

Only with explosions. :)
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Delorean_Man
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Delorean_Man »

djkest wrote:
Delorean_Man wrote:That is just what the world needs, another fast and furious movie. At least the cars keep getting cooler with every movie it seems. Still no Delorean though. :?
That's cause they only feature fast cars. :p (well that isn't necessarily true, they had Honda Civics in #1)

But in all seriousness, this is awesome. It makes me want to actually see FF7 now.

Haha
Yeah it actually will be pretty cool to see this one. Though me and my wife have a tradition of seeing each FF movie at the theater starting with the third one when we were dating.
I would rather sit on a mountain and think about God than sit in church and think about the mountains.
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

I wonder if I could hike up there and get in the background of a shot?
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
rking007
14ers: 13  1 
13ers: 19 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rking007 »

Jim Davies wrote:We drove up the highway a couple times last week, and saw a crew on one of the curves between Glen Cove and timberline, doing something that involved a bunch of ramps. I'm guessing they'll be going around curves on two wheels, flying through the air, etc. I wonder if they have the budget and/or permission to re-stage this:

Holy crap. That guy died right? Or probably wished he did?
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
Craig Cook
14ers: 16 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Craig Cook »

CO Native wrote:...and then from the 6th through the 10th the North Slope Recreation Area access to the Summit will be closed.
Ummm...just wondering here. I'm doing the Pikes Peak Challenge on Saturday, September 7 - a charity event, etc. They said they are providing transportation back down from the summit, but that seems like a problem if they can't get to the summit. Does anyone know about this? I'll send the event director an email as well. :-k
Dean Hoisington
14ers: 6 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dean Hoisington »

I plan to climb Pikes via the Barr trail next weekend, Friday- Sunday (Conservatively - newby in tow). I'm hoping this won't inconvenience or affect us too much.
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

rking007 wrote:
Jim Davies wrote:We drove up the highway a couple times last week, and saw a crew on one of the curves between Glen Cove and timberline, doing something that involved a bunch of ramps. I'm guessing they'll be going around curves on two wheels, flying through the air, etc. I wonder if they have the budget and/or permission to re-stage this:

Holy crap. That guy died right? Or probably wished he did?
He lived, came out of it pretty much unscathed if you can believe it. If you search Youtube, you can find a few different views of the crash (various camera's set up in/on the car). Pretty amazing.
clemsonmtneer
14ers: 35  6 
13ers: 23 6
Trip Reports (15)

Post by clemsonmtneer »

Ridiculous that a Fast and Furious movie can be filmed on forest service land atop a 14k peak, yet Chris Davenport is prohibited by the forest service from releasing his ski the 14ers film and making money off of it.
colorado yooper
14ers: 40  1 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by colorado yooper »

Clemson- the Pikes Peak Hwy is managed by teh City of Colorado Springs not the Forest Service. And while I still wait to see Chris D's movie he did use a video camera in a Wilderness Area which is against the rules, as is using anything with wheels or motors. That's what makes it wilderness. Unless we had special permission we couldn't use chainsaws to fight a wildfire in a wilderness area but were limited to hand tools. I wonder if they need a permit to drive on the road from COS and then another permit from the USFS to crash a car off the road. I wonder if it will be stunt doubles and the stars? It could be a fun time to hike for autographs... Paul Walker was the pace car driver for the Pikes Peak Hill Climb a couple of years ago and was pretty smooth on his way to the top.
To the High Crags!