1st 14er Planned and ready to go.

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Target Tony
Trip Reports (1)

1st 14er Planned and ready to go.

Post by Target Tony »

i found this site after i came back from Colorado last year. i felt it was a shame that i didn't try to climb one of the many 14K peaks. our guide for my elk hunt had us all over the Roosevelt national forest trying find elk. we hiked 7 to 9 miles a day in 7k to 10K altitude. i had an absolute blast. since i am a flat lander from Iowa i had never hiked much in the mountains.

well this year i am going out to do another elk hunt in the Estes Park Area and i have a few hikes planned for me. i leave for Colorado on Aug 30th and my first hike will be Twin Sisters as a warm up. then 2 days later i want to do Mt Elbert. i have about 5 days in the Estes area before i have to be in elk camp.

i really appreciate all the info i have found here to help guide me to my first 14er which should be in a week or so. i have been training pretty hard and started running about 3 months ago. i am now doing 5 to 6 miles a day and averaging around 10 min miles. i have also dropped 32 pounds so far.

Tony
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Re: 1st 14er Planned and ready to go.

Post by Tornadoman »

Welcome to the board! It sounds like you have a good plan, good luck with your first 14er!
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
EZSide
14ers: 11 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by EZSide »

Target Tony wrote:....

i really appreciate all the info i have found here to help guide me to my first 14er which should be in a week or so. i have been training pretty hard and started running about 3 months ago. i am now doing 5 to 6 miles a day and averaging around 10 min miles. i have also dropped 32 pounds so far.

Tony
You sound very similar to me. My motivation to be effective in the mountains has kept 50+ pounds off for a number of years now. I'm running 6 mi a day / 10 min miles. I also on occasion go to the local stairset and check my vertical ability - because I've found the real issue is it takes a lot of energy to haul this old frame up 3000' + in a reasonable time. I'm planning my next trip right now.

Enjoy & good luck!

Bill
"There are times when the most complicated actions are suddenly summed up, distilled, and strike you with illuminating clarity" - Maurice Herzog
ratherbclimbin
14ers: 19  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ratherbclimbin »

Wow you are very ready for a 14er. Good job keep up the great training. Your awesone
DeTour
14ers: 43 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (30)

Post by DeTour »

I love it, doing the highest 14er first! But easy technically, so a good plan. Start early and don't challenge the weather if it's not right - but you no doubt know that from you elk hunt experience and research on this site.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Once torched by truth, a little thing like faith is easy.
Swede Landing, 'Peace Like a River'
The land is forever.
- Steve Almburg, Illinois centennial farmer
colokeith
14ers: 39  2 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (7)

Post by colokeith »

Best of luck to you!! I Also popped my cherry on Elbert. You will be fine... Elbert is long, but very straight forward.
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson
Dark Helmet
14ers: 7 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dark Helmet »

pretty sure you're Elk Hunting right now Tony... good luck and I anxiously await the TR!
aweygandt
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aweygandt »

I hope it goes well! Be ready for some disappointment at those false summits.
vusteph
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (6)

Post by vusteph »

aweygandt wrote:I hope it goes well! Be ready for some disappointment at those false summits.
haha, so true. my boyfriend and I were disheartened many times.
over50climber
Trip Reports (0)

Post by over50climber »

Best of luck Tony, on both Elbert and the elk hunt. Me and my wife, also flat landers from Iowa did our first ever mountain hike over the Labor Day weekend by climbing Mt Elbert. Had such a good time we are going back next weekend to try for a double at Greys and Torrey's.
Target Tony
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Target Tony »

well i am back. i had an absolute blast and i did accomplish 2 of the 3 things i wanted to do. i summited Twin Sisters and i summited Mt Elbert. i did not get an elk but i was really close to several bulls and just couldn't get a shot. i was in pretty good shape, and Twin Sisters was a fun climb that i did fairly easy. but it was a good test to start with. Mt Elbert did kick a little butt on me, but i went slow and made the summit in 5 hours.

here is my pic at the top of one of the Twin Sisters.

here is my pic at the top of Mt Elbert.

Target Tony
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Target Tony »