Fatality on Longs' Keyhole Route

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Fatality on Longs' Keyhole Route

Post by peter303 »

I notice the 8/16 RMNP website has two contradictory reports on the Keyhole trail.
One from 8/13 said the trail had a fair amount of ice:
http://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/t ... itions.htm
The other, the main link for Longs, says summer conditions:
http://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/l ... report.htm
It is based on a 8/4 hike. A week can make a lot of difference.
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

peter303 wrote:I notice the 8/16 RMNP website has two contradictory reports on the Keyhole trail.
One from 8/13 said the trail had a fair amount of ice:
http://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/t ... itions.htm
The other, the main link for Longs, says summer conditions:
http://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/l ... report.htm
It is based on a 8/4 hike. A week can make a lot of difference.
My condolences to Paul's family.

BenD and I went up the Keyhole Route on last Saturday (8/10) in beautiful weather and dry, perfect condition. BenD commented on how the Narrows and Homestretch were so much easier and comfortable than he was expecting. I am glad we got to see Long's at its best rather than a few days later.
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

Paul was a two time state tennis champ :shock: aka a bad ass. I would have loved to hike with someone like this. Rest in peace bud. Wishing the best for your family and friends.
Last edited by kushrocks on Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
timberlinecolorado56
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by timberlinecolorado56 »

My prayers go out to his family and friends. May God's peace be on them in this horrible time.
All creation declares the beauty and majesty of the Lord God Almighty.

"In his hand are the depths of the earth, and the mountain peaks belong to him... come let us bow down in worship... for he is our God." Psalm 95:5-7
my5sons
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by my5sons »

Sorry to hear this. Our condolences to the family.
goingup
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 295 1 4
Trip Reports (33)

Post by goingup »

RIP Paul and condolences to the family and friends. :(
through being cool
aweygandt
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aweygandt »

I'm very sorry to hear this. My prayers are with Paul's family and his friends.
plantmandan
14ers: 9 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by plantmandan »

Condolences to Paul's family.

Here is some more information about the second incident. Apparently it was a bad fall in the North Chimney that could have been a lot worse. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

http://mountainproject.com/v/bad-couple ... /108292004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
denvermikey
14ers: 51 
13ers: 166
Trip Reports (12)

Post by denvermikey »

Geez....

:shock: :shock: :shock:

"Mitch, in this case we suspect that it was a rock that hit Christian and he was the leader. The climber in this story is my fiance. He doesn't remember the fall at all and is lucky to be alive. He suffered a fractured C2, crushed T6 & T7, a skull fracture, a punctured lung, a scapular fracture, 7 broken ribs and deep lacerations. His spine was fused last night from T3-T9. He does not have any notable brain trauma or spinal nerve damage. He is a solid Climber so this is very unexpected."
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - David McCullough Jr.
emohr
14ers: 32  1 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (26)

Post by emohr »

I was on Longs on Friday watching the helicopter from Meeker. There was a pretty spooky atmosphere on the mountain after Paul's unfortunate accident the day before. Some climbers coming the up the Cables Route said that they had heard some screaming from The Chasm Cirque on their way up. Sounds like SAR did a fantastic job and evacuated the climber from the North Chimney to safety. Prayers being sent to Paul's family, wishing a speedy recovery for the injured climber, and endless thanks to SAR
bigDmulc009
14ers: 42  2 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bigDmulc009 »

Absolutely devastating to hear of the news of a fellow Tiger after I hiked Longs just a week before. Thoughts to Paul's family, and to let them know that the Colorado College community grieves for Paul as if he had already been there for weeks.
jmjr2k
14ers: 15 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (13)

Post by jmjr2k »

Condolences To Paul Nahon 2013-08-19 07:14:31

I'd like to offer my sincerest condolences to a business colleague Paul Nahon, and family, upon the loss of their son, Paul. He attempted the climb to Longs on Thursday, August 15, and was unsuccessful at the Narrows. May they find comfort in the great memories and times they shared with him and his life....
JR