Fatality on Longs' Keyhole Route

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
alpinedivine
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Fatality on Longs' Keyhole Route

Post by alpinedivine »

Deepest condolences to Pauls family.
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

zdero1 wrote:I'm confused about the OP's intent here as the edited post is strictly to inform us of the route being closed, yet the title presents something that should be in the accidents section.
See post #8. Prior to that, all I was doing was feeding updates from RMNP's Facebook page about a route closure (that slowly became more ominous). At that point, I changed the thread title.

If there's a way that I can move the thread to the other forum, I'm happy to do so (I don't see the correct button combination at the moment).
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

RIP Paul. Longs can be a tough mountain.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
smrcka
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 116
Trip Reports (0)

Post by smrcka »

RIP Paul. Horrible tragedy to lose a young and obviously talented young man so early in his life. Condolences to his family and friends.
It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err. - Mahatma Gandhi

To be aware is to be alive!
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

Terrible news. Rest in Peace, Paul, and condolences to his family and friends.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
anasarca76
14ers: 57 
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (5)

Post by anasarca76 »

Such sad news... Condolences to his friends and family and rest in peace Paul.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

West side of longs from the summit of Sharkstooth yesterday (below). It's odd that my buddy and I were conversing on how few fatalities Longs sees compared to the number of climbers it has on any given day. Looks snowy and icy.

Very sad, condolences to the friends and family of the hiker.

Make wilderness less accessible.
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

Some news will just break your heart. RIP Paul. My thoughts are with his family and friends during their healing process. Wishing everyone safe travels in the mountains we love so much.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
unclegar
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (9)

Post by unclegar »

Sorry to hear this news. Longs is a serious endeavor regardless but a whole different climb when slick. Thoughts and prayers for family and friends of this young man. I'm very sorry for your loss.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

Dear Nahon family,

I am so sorry to read of your loss of Paul. I looked at the news article and wow, he was such a talented young man with so much potential. Please accept my condolences. I pray that God will carry you through this difficult journey ahead.
bohlsen
14ers: 26 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bohlsen »

More shittiness, hopefully this one has a better outcome

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ ... longs-peak" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
Stephen Butler
14ers: 18 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Stephen Butler »

Ah what a bad couple of days.