Gannett: Tourist Creek route

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Gannett: Tourist Creek route

Post by spiderman »

I am heading to Gannett over Labor Day weekend and wanted to know if anyone had advice on the Tourist Creek route. I am hoping to avoid the rock climbing sections on the standard route that is necessary now that the snow bridge has collapsed on the Gooseneck 'schrund. I read a few reports suggesting that this alternative route is a less technical option. It seemed like the route was mostly class 2-3 with a brief section of unexposed class 4 going between the notch and the peak, and a relatively easy crossing of the Minor Glacier.

Does anybody have comments or suggestions on the Tourist Creek route? Is the Class 4 section a Colorado-esque toughness or should I expect something more difficult?
ptyrg
14ers: 34  4 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Gannett: Tourist Creek route

Post by ptyrg »

I have made an attempt of the tourist creek route. We went up the call between Gannett, and Mt. koven, but got stormed out, and had to retreat. From the call is lower fith class,up the north ridge, and is more difficult than the standard 4th class west face. Also I have tried the standard route from Titcomb basin over Labor day week, and yes the shrund was not passable, the crevasses, where wide open, and generally,slow travel. Unless your staying up in the west Gannett basin for a while, I might suggest camping in the green river valley, right below the tourist creek drainage and making a one day shot up Tourist creek, to Gannett. Humping a mondo pack up the first 1000' of tourist is very steep, and tough going. lots of car size boulder hopping using that route. Good Luck!
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

I agree low 5th class above the col. See my route description on summitpost.
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

pbakwin wrote:I agree low 5th class above the col. See my route description on summitpost.
Here is what I saw on your summitpost page (thanks pbakwin for writing up the route description): Once on the north ridge, work south towards the summit, ascending class 4 rock. This is fun climbing and not super exposed. A couple of rappel stations have been rigged in recent years for the descent. The rock ends with a short walk across snow to the summit.

We hope to pack as light as possible to make the hump up Tourist Creek less nasty... those boulders looked awfully big on summitpost.
Matt Lemke
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 116 11
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Matt Lemke »

Yes the boulder hopping in Tourist Creek is some of the worst I have ever done. Huge chasms between house sized boulders just waiting to suck you into oblivion and eat you alive. Crossing the Green River at Three Forks Park is a fun challenge too! Say...are you looking for partners? I am very interested in this route on Gannett.
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"
hunterwf
14ers: 37 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hunterwf »

Here is a look down the drainage to where we camped by the river about 2 weeks ago. There are plenty of boulders like everyone else said.
Looking down tourist creek drainage
Looking down tourist creek drainage
IMG_1584.JPG (186.29 KiB) Viewed 2050 times
There are other Annapurnas in the lives of men.

- Maurice Herzog
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

spiderman wrote:
pbakwin wrote:I agree low 5th class above the col. See my route description on summitpost.
Here is what I saw on your summitpost page (thanks pbakwin for writing up the route description): Once on the north ridge, work south towards the summit, ascending class 4 rock. This is fun climbing and not super exposed. A couple of rappel stations have been rigged in recent years for the descent. The rock ends with a short walk across snow to the summit.

We hope to pack as light as possible to make the hump up Tourist Creek less nasty... those boulders looked awfully big on summitpost.
Ha! Bad memory. 4th class it is then.