Huge thank you/Handies rescue

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
J C Wilks
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Huge thank you

Post by J C Wilks »

I'm sure your dad would have done the same had he been in our shoes Keith. I was wondering how he is doing so thanks for posting. Props to the SAR guys.
PKelley
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 208 3
Trip Reports (6)

Post by PKelley »

Glad to hear he is okay. I'll pass along the news.

PK
The Dalai Lama when asked what surprised him most about humanity:
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”
Cookiehiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Cookiehiker »

So glad to hear of both the successful rescue and your father's continued improvement, Keith! Many thoughts and prayers for him as he recovers!
C is for Cookie, that's good enough for me!
ORION
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Huge thank you/Handies rescue update

Post by ORION »

Please see my updated post at the beginning of this thread. The Polaroid-type photo was given to me by a fellow hiker.
20130811_114146 (2) (640x360).jpg
20130811_114146 (2) (640x360).jpg (132.04 KiB) Viewed 2736 times
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Huge thank you/Handies rescue/photo

Post by steelfrog »

Love to read success stories like this!
DanRiley
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DanRiley »

It was so good to hear such a positive outcome to such a frightening situation. Sounds like you and everyone involved handled it superbly. I was quite moved by your narrative as I am nearing your father's age and will be returning to Colorado next week to climb for the first time in over a decade.
Thanks for sharing such a great story.
flatlander51
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by flatlander51 »

Wow, that is a truly amazing story of a successful rescue. I can't begin to imagine the efforts and coordination it took everyone involved to pull this off. My hat's off to them. And I wish you, your family and, especially your dad, all the best. And don't forget to pat yourself on the back a little bit for your quick thinking and appropriate actions, Orion. I hope that anyone I hike with could maintain their cool and act as intelligently as you did. Your actions under extreme duress helped save his life, too.
hilo21
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hilo21 »

I'm so glad to hear your father is okay! I wish him a speedy recovery!
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

Wow, amazing operation. There would have been a much different outcome not that many years ago. I’m glad to hear your father is recovering well.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

A real blessing to read an outcome like this. May he recover speedily and try again! =D>
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

ORION,

Thanks for the update and detailed account. Amazing success story that can be celebrated! Kudos to all involved.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

That's a terrific story, and I'm glad to hear your dad is recovering well. Kudos to all the rescuers involved.

So, when is he trying again? He doesn't sound like the kind of guy that would let Handies defeat him. :)
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump