Approaches/2 Day Hikes

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Approaches/2 Day Hikes

Post by GregMiller »

I'll second Sneffels SW Ridge via Blue Lakes, they're absolutely gorgeous, wish I'd hiked in to the lakes and camped there instead of camping at the trailhead and doing all 13 miles in one day.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

mtree wrote:Crestone Peak and/or Needle. Hike in and camp at South Colony lakes.
Or for more adventure, from the west via Cottonwood Creek.
Trailhead:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/trailhead ... hparm=sc05" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Some TRs:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripuser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
spadflyer12
14ers: 19  1 
13ers: 7 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by spadflyer12 »

Lemmiwinks wrote:Snowmass standard route from snowmass lake.
Kit carson and challenger from willow lake.
Blanca and ellingwood from lake como.

Those are the ones that immediately came to mind.
I don't know anything about Snowmass, but Blanca and Ellingwood from lake como is a good 2-day adventure. If you don't have a 4WD vehicle or are just feeling adventurous the hike from the car to lake como is about 5.6 miles with about 4000' in elevation gain. Have have yet to do Blanca or Ellingwood, but I did Little Bear last weekend and boy that was one hell of a hike back to the car after summiting.

Anything off of South Colony lakes is also good. If you get up their early enough on day 1 you can do Humboldt, then hit up Crestone Peak or Needle on day 2. (Or do the traverse from Peak to Needle on day 2 and summit all 3)
bohlsen
14ers: 26 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bohlsen »

There's a couple of Centennial 13ers (the 46 tallest 13ers, all above 14000' and with less crowds than 14ers) that sound like exactly what you're looking for as long as you don't mind climbing something without the 14er label.

Vermilion Peak (along with Pilot Knob and Golden Horn next to it) has the Ice Lake Basin approach which is supposed to be one of the most spectacular places in the entire state.
Rio Grande Pyramid: one of the more remote and scenic peaks but not too long or difficult
Pacific/Atlantic/Crystal: You could backpack into the upper basin and get 3 13ers in a single day without too much effort

As far as 14ers go you could backpack into Conundrum Hot Springs and climb Castle from the non-standard side
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.