Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Summer Gathering: Kansas City, 5th Class BBQ

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Summer Gathering: Kansas City, 5th Class BBQ

Postby TallGrass » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:57 pm

Mark your calendars...

Can't have a gathering without hiking/climbing, nor dine in KC sans BBQ, right?
So to mix the two, beat the late summer midwest heat, AND potentially make it worth driving to
Jayhawk-Wildcat-Tiger country for Buffaloes, Rams, Huskers, Cy-Hawks, Sooners, and or Razorbacks, I'm putting forth...

Sun., Aug. 25th, 2013* -- Summer Gathering: Kansas City, 5th Class BBQ
* Chiefs play the Steelers the night before.

Morning Hike? :-k No takers yet. Could go to Cliff Drive or Shawnee Mission Park.

Noon to 5pm (public hours): Indoor climbing at Monster Mountain. Arguably the safest way to get a taste 5th Class to up your comfort level on 4th Class routes, or test your skills on some of their 5.11+ routes. A belayer (person) is required to climb above the bouldering line, and belayers must be "certified" to belay (can be done on site). As they rent gear, it's also a very inexpensive and safe way to try your hand and get an introduction to technical climbing. ** I'll be there with a purple bandana, easy to spot if you need a "ride" (belay).

5pm to 8pm (closes at 8pm): Your muscles now need protein and you're on the Paleo Diet, eh? How about climate-controlled dining at Hayward's Pit BBQ. Good 'Q takes both good meat and good sauce. This local place has both as well as local brews. ** We have the back room reserved under the name "14ers." Also, be there for some 14ers Trivia with prizes. Probably the only time you can make knowing all that obscure mountain knowledge pay off. \:D/

8pm to ? :-k :iluvbeer:

** Note: Working on getting some stuff set up with MM and HPB just for us. Will update this post.

Please R.S.V.P. :mrgreen: so I can make sure we can accommodate everyone. 10 rsvps but 20 showing up could get awkward. :oops:

Edit: updates in blue bold.
Last edited by TallGrass on Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Re: Summer Gathering: Kansas City, 5th Class BBQ

Postby ChrisRoberts » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:47 pm

Just the fact that you guys are getting Haywards makes me jealous. So very jealous
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Laramie-Poudre Tunnel and UN 10060

Postby Kent McLemore » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:34 am

Did you say Razorbacks?
I'm a definate maybe. I'll know for certain in a week - after my Gore/Sangre venture, which begins tomorrow!
"Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." - John Muir

Postby Gareth » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:48 am

I'd love to go, but cant make it.
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James

Postby invisiblebear » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:11 am

I plan on being at Hayward's for supper and bringing at least one guest.

Postby Gene913 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:38 pm

planning to make the BBQ at Haywards.
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21

Postby TallGrass » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:03 pm

Bump, and updates added to first post. A few have responded. Hope to see more at both Monster Mountain and Haywards! \:D/
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby Theodore » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:11 pm

Not sure how I missed this one! I need to double check with the wife (newborn at home) but if I can make it to BBQ I will. I know I can't make it to climbing, which bums me out since I've wanted to check out any decent gym besides Ibex for a long time. Nothing against it other than its location.

Postby tlongpine » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:47 pm

Can't make the gym climb or the BBQ, but am looking for a belay partner for climbing along the Cliff Drive Sat or Sun AM. Message me if you're interested!
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby wineguy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:34 pm

I'll be there for the BBQ, and late afternoon at the gym.
Life is a long lesson in humility. - James Barrie

Postby JoeyJ » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:28 pm

Planning to make the Hayward's BBQ!
Haven't met any of the KCers on here, except for Gene. Will be at the Royals game so should be no prob getting there after the bottom of the ninth! ;)
"Material possessions, winning scores, and great reputations are meaningless in the eyes of the Lord, because He knows what we really are and that is all that matters."
John Wooden

Postby KSU Wildcat » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:46 pm

Also planning to attend the Hayward's BBQ!
Climb on!

Next