Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sorting Capability for Trip Reports

If you run into any problems using 14ers.com, please post a topic thread here.

Sorting Capability for Trip Reports

Postby mkrier » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:11 pm

Some of the trip reports on this site are truly amazing with the amount of effort and detail that go into them. I think it would be beneficial (especially to new members) if we had the capability to sort the trip reports based on the number of "likes". There are too many hidden gems that get lost in the 10,000+ reports.

Re: Sorting Capability for Trip Reports

Postby lordhelmut » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:09 pm

I "like" this idea.

edit : This may not be a popular idea, but maybe if Bill made this site a pay one (20-25$ annual membership), it might fix any "issues" that naturally correlate with rapidly growing entities.
Last edited by lordhelmut on Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby benners » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:11 pm

One potential issue is the "like/dislike" feature wasn't implemented until September of 2010 I believe, so any TRs written before then would not filter properly. Just throwing that out there!

Postby jdorje » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:32 pm

We need an ELO rating system for trip reports. Each trip report starts with a rating of 1200. Then when you read a report, you are asked "is this better, worse, or just as good as the last report you read?", and the ratings of both are adjusted accordingly.
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby Derek » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:32 pm

jdorje wrote:We need an ELO rating system for trip reports.

Man, I can jam out to Electric Light Orchestra as much as the next guy, but how can that fix this TR issue? :wink:

But I do agree with Benners. There were some damn fine reports back in the "5 star" era that would be missed ifit was based on the "like" feature.

Postby djkest » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:26 am

mkrier wrote:Some of the trip reports on this site are truly amazing with the amount of effort and detail that go into them. I think it would be beneficial (especially to new members) if we had the capability to sort the trip reports based on the number of "likes". There are too many hidden gems that get lost in the 10,000+ reports.

Likes don't always correlate to how useful or informative a trip report is. They are kind of a popularity contest in some ways. It's possible you could get 20 likes with crazy costumes, but not necessarily provide useful information for new hikers. Not that there is anything wrong with fun trip reports and crazy costumes.

I spent a lot of time on my Culebra report, for example, stitching together multiple panoramas and editing over 100 photos in Adobe Lightroom. 1 like. Bad report? You be the judge.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby Somewhat of a Prick » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:38 am

djkest wrote:I spent a lot of time on my Culebra report, for example, stitching together multiple panoramas and editing over 100 photos in Adobe Lightroom. 1 like. Bad report? You be the judge.

IT SUCKED!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Ok I never read it :oops:

Postby Lady McClimbsalot » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:43 am

I spent 4 hours putting together a TR on the Chicago Basin, which included 4 mtns, but even for the more simpler ones it still takes well over an hour or two to make it just right :) It definitely takes a great amount of time and effort. I do it more to entertain people and share the amazing beauty we saw than anything, but I hope they help people also get a feel for what it's like if they're going to attempt it themselves. I didn't even know there was a "Like" button, but that's neat. I think they should be listed based on number of views maybe? Or is there a way to subscribe to certain users? I dono. I have a few dedicated followers that keep tabs on my TRs and that makes me feel good :-D However they're organized, I find them fun and entertaining :-D
I'll climb till I dye!

Postby mkrier » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:03 am

Just to clarify a point, the default would still be by date added. I just mean adding the capability to sort by likes or views as well, just as you can with date added and date climbed.

Postby Somewhat of a Prick » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:21 am

mkrier wrote:Just to clarify a point, the default would still be by date added. I just mean adding the capability to sort by likes or views as well, just as you can with date added and date climbed.

I like it! =D>

Postby MonGoose » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:54 am

I like the idea of sorting by likes (or dislikes). We could also add a sort for most comments.

Postby Floyd » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:54 am

This was already hashed out a couple of years ago. I can't find the thread but it took a downward spiral (surprise, surprise). It started the same as this one with a little more complaining about the 6 photo/75 word TR of Quandary's standard route on a summer Saturday bumping the "good" ones down the list. Then there was some name calling where anyone that doesn't like a 14er TR is either a hipster, elitist, or both and then the thread went straight to the toilet and off-route. As if that never happens here...

It went on for a while and at the end, it was decided that all we can do is ask that if you post a TR, put some effort into it. If you want to add something that is purely informational (even the 13ers are mostly all documented in some form or fashion now) the content can possibly be sacrificed, but if you want to post on a mountain that has 50 other TRs, then do something to make your TR stand out. That doesn't mean put a hot tub at the TH or act like a jackass on the trail. If you're proud of the effort it took to get to the top of the mountain (don't care what mountain or high it is), then be proud of the product that you post on the site. Storage isn't free and Bill is nice enough to offer you the forum at no charge. Don't abuse the privilege.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason

Next