Lake Como Road's Revenge

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Lake Como Road's Revenge

Post by peter303 »

Texas or Kansas registration? :o
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Bullwinkle wrote:I have never understood why anyone would want to drive past Jaws 1. I viewed 10,500' as the practicable limit for a stock, off-road, high ground clearance car. It is not a bad hike from there anyway.
Hundreds of people go 4-wheeling on that road each summer and have no intention of hiking anything, just opening up the cooler when they get to the lake.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Gareth
14ers: 25 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gareth »

peter303 wrote:Texas or Kansas registration? :o
Hey! We Kansans don't need no messed up 4-wheel drive road from hell to get stuck on.....a simple muddy slope works fine! :-" (Didn't break anything, though)
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
Bullwinkle wrote:I have never understood why anyone would want to drive past Jaws 1. I viewed 10,500' as the practicable limit for a stock, off-road, high ground clearance car. It is not a bad hike from there anyway.
Hundreds of people go 4-wheeling on that road each summer and have no intention of hiking anything, just opening up the cooler when they get to the lake.
A lot of 4-wheeling clubs go up Lake Como road once a year or so. There were I think 5 jeeps there Saturday night. They had a roaring fire and sounded like they had quite a few brewskis.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
Tortoise1
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tortoise1 »

Dezelrig wrote:Here's a good video of the main obstacles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obioFSHT-BQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I wonder what "double low" is? At 1:47.
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

Tortoise1 wrote:
Dezelrig wrote:Here's a good video of the main obstacles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obioFSHT-BQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I wonder what "double low" is? At 1:47.
A dual transfer case system suited for off-road crawling. The "doubler" provides additional low range gearing which improves off-road performance without affecting highway gear ratios. In rough terrain, one can shift into double low and crawl along smoothly.

If you want to know more:
http://www.bb4wa.com/articles/TransferCase.html

This thread is timely. Because of the weather, we stayed at home yesterday and I spent the day under my Jeep getting it ready for some late summer adventure. I haven't driven the Jeep in over a year. In a past-life, I was a member of the Rock Frogs club shown in that video. Great group of guys and gals. If anyone is interested, I made a video of our trip up the Lake Como/Blanca Road:

Tortoise1
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tortoise1 »

kimo wrote:A dual transfer case system suited for off-road crawling. The "doubler" provides additional low range gearing which improves off-road performance without affecting highway gear ratios. In rough terrain, one can shift into double low and crawl along smoothly.
So "double low" just means 4WD low and first gear of the transmission? I'd just never heard the term before.
SeracZack
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SeracZack »

A doubler uses the low range gears from a different transfer case, plus the low range of the existing transfer case. A typical doubler for full size Chevy's is the low range from an NP203 transfer case bolted to the front of the NP205 transfer case. This gives you the typical 4wd high range and 4wd low range of the normal transfer case, plus you can then shift the low range box into gear and now you have a "doubled" 4wd drive low range.

Standard NP205 low range is ~2:1, with a first gear ratio of ~5:1 (manual), and an axle ratio of ~4:1 gives you a stock low range crawl ratio of 40:1. Add in the doubler at ~2:1, and your final drive ratio for crawling is now ~80:1. Just using round numbers for ease of math.

Hope that helps.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller
jeffs
14ers: 45 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jeffs »

Texas I get, but Kansas?!? LOL BTW - The drivers of the two trashed ATV's that I talked to yesterday were from someplace they called "The Springs" :-D
Hey, it's flat up here?!
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

jeffs wrote:
Texas I get, but Kansas?!? LOL BTW - The drivers of the two trashed ATV's that I talked to yesterday were from someplace they called "The Springs" :-D
Ha!
They should have "practiced" elsewhere before incurring some costly repairs after Lake Como road.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

jeffs wrote:
Must have been Baxter Springs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baxter_Springs,_Kansas
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
danb
14ers: 27 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by danb »

Bill, I'm glad you have done that road. I got some "go to hell" looks on my ATV from hikers. [-X It is the only time I have ever ATV'd up and probably the only time I ever will, but I just could not miss the opportunity to combine two things I love in one trip!

I found the biggest problem to be the loss of power at higher elevation...running only a 330cc engine. The obstacles were a total blast.