James Peak Ascent Options

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
swampthing
14ers: 14  1 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

James Peak Ascent Options

Post by swampthing »

Hello All,

I went on a scouting mission Sunday to Loch Lomond near the little town of Alice to scope a possible ascent of James Peak from below. I have read of clearly-marked routes going from St. Mary's Glacier on up to James, but is it possible to go up from the lakes? And if so, what are the current conditions of this route and what other route recommendations are there from the experts out there?

Thanks for your advice and happy hiking!

-Swampthing
winmag4582001
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (10)

Re: James Peak Ascent Options

Post by winmag4582001 »

You can take the jeep trail from Lock Lomond to the flats thenover to James, from there traverse over to Bancroft.
Or, you can go up SMG to the flats, circle north to the gulch, go from James lake to the ridge via Shooting Star, which is probably melted out and dangerous right now.

Current conditions: Sunny with afternoon thunderstorms. :-D
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."
JeffR
14ers: 31 
13ers: 175
Trip Reports (13)

Post by JeffR »

You can also take the north ridge from the Moffat Tunnel TH. A little longer, but very scenic.
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"
glacierPaul
Trip Reports (0)

Post by glacierPaul »

1)At the Loch, go to the far end North East of the dam, there is a trail that follows the run off up from that side of the lake. 2)Halfway up Loch Lomond road, the first gate, is the C.D.T. 3)Or a technical climb up past the upper lakes. Be safe!
HuskyRunner
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by HuskyRunner »

Were up on James today, we took the CDT from the first pull over where it crosses the road to Loch Lomond, only about 10 miles round trip. The trail is easy to follow and dry. As others have noted you can drive all the way to the Loch, just depends on how much bumping along that road you want to do, did see a mini van drive past where we were parked, wouldn't have been my choice of vehicle but looks like they did OK.
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker
pw
14ers: 45 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (1)

Post by pw »

swampthing wrote:Hello All,

I went on a scouting mission Sunday to Loch Lomond near the little town of Alice to scope a possible ascent of James Peak from below. I have read of clearly-marked routes going from St. Mary's Glacier on up to James, but is it possible to go up from the lakes? And if so, what are the current conditions of this route and what other route recommendations are there from the experts out there?
I've done James Peak a couple of times from Loch Lomond, it was less than 2 hours the last time. I did a little thrashing around in the scrub just above the dam, but once up that initial steeper slope you are above tree line and it's smooth sailing. There is a faint trail up there too, closer to the south rim above the lakes, although not necessary to find it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwahl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

How bad is that road to the Loch? Can 2WD make it?
pw
14ers: 45 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (1)

Post by pw »

PaliKona wrote:How bad is that road to the Loch? Can 2WD make it?
I would say no. I drove up with my brother a few years ago in 2 vehicles, him in an Outback, me in a pickup, once he'd had it we piled into my pickup. It had pretty cramped seating, so he drove as far as he could before we crammed into my truck, maybe made it a mile before it got steep and bumpy. I did see a guy in a 2 wd bronco (or some older 2wd SUV) doing it, he had to take runs at steep sections so once his wheels started spinning a bit he had enough momentum to get over those sections, but he had greater clearance than a car of course.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwahl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HuskyRunner
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by HuskyRunner »

Didn't see anything that you would need 4 wheel drive for, good clearance certainly but nothing so steep or rocky that would require 4 wheel drive. I saw several lower clearance vehicles make it but I wouldn't want to try do it in something that couldn't clear the rougher sections of road, and I was never even tempted to shift into 4 wheel, there was no need for it.
"I made up my mind not to care so much about the destination, and simply enjoy the journey." David Archuleta
"And if they get out there they see, son of a bitch, this is a beautiful planet." Jim Whittaker
Rick Canter
14ers: 31 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Rick Canter »

For an entirely different experience, consider the Riflesight Notch access at Rogers Pass. This is a 2 WD-friendly gravel road. The old Moffat RR grade which takes off of US 40 about two traffic lights from the Winter Park resort. On the way down the 2WD car in front of me made it down through graupel and rain. The Ute Trail is a mellow grade although I concede it is not as scenic as the lakes and the Glacier.

For consideration.
IronLionZion
14ers: 26 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by IronLionZion »

It's nice from the lake! i was up there in June. We hiked up Parry to the West and then worked our way back across the ridge hitting Bancroft and James. it was a fun hike from Bancroft to James. I saw a newer Subaru Forrester up there and but I wouldn't want to be the one driving that. I have a Jeep Cherokee, I did use 4WD tho it probably wasn't necessary.
Hold up my goings in thy paths, that my footsteps slip not. Psalm 17:5
snowymountainsrock
14ers: 1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by snowymountainsrock »

Does anyone know the current conditions of St. Mary's Glacier?
Thanks