KC/Challenger Accident

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
hilo21
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: KC/Challenger Accident

Post by hilo21 »

Sorry for your loss. :(
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Post by ameristrat »

I'm so sorry to hear of this. I am praying for Mike's family and friends' healing and understanding.

"The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." Deuteronomy 31:8
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
MOffutt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by MOffutt »

My condolences, so sad.
OutdoorEsprit
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by OutdoorEsprit »

For those that haven't seen it the new memorial thread yet, some of us that worked with Mike will be climbing Quandary Peak on August 24 as a tribute to him and to other climbers that have been lost this year. The forum "Mike Cormier (& other climbers) Memorial" has the details.

EVERYONE is welcome to join us, whether you knew Mike or one of the other climbers or not.
"The mountains are calling and I must go."
-John Muir
Mel McKinney
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Mel McKinney »

OutdoorEsprit wrote:For those that haven't seen it the new memorial thread yet, some of us that worked with Mike will be climbing Quandary Peak on August 24 as a tribute to him and to other climbers that have been lost this year. The forum "Mike Cormier (& other climbers) Memorial" has the details.

EVERYONE is welcome to join us, whether you knew Mike or one of the other climbers or not.
This is a wonderful tribute. John, I am so sorry for the loss of your brother. My condolences to Mike's family and friends.
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")
paully
14ers: 56 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (1)

Post by paully »

Very sorry to hear this, my condolensces to Mike's family and friends.
ETA
14ers: 56 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by ETA »

I was lucky to meet Mike in June while climbing Wilson Peak. In only a couple miles Mike told many stories about his travels and family, it was a pleasure hiking with him. I’m sorry to hear about the accident, my thoughts go out to his family.

Ed Avery
3 or 4 miles, can't be much further than that.
lackerstef
14ers: 49 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (5)

Post by lackerstef »

Cookiehiker wrote:I am so sad to hear the news of Mike's passing. I can't begin to express what a pleasure it was to make his acquaintance on the summit of Red Cloud last year. It was a true delight to be able to spend time talking to him and sharing some of my summit cookies with him as we took in the glory of the sun just shedding it's light over the red mountain. His passion for mountain climbing was very apparent. There are just some people that you meet that stick out in your mind....Mike was one of those....a true lover of the mountains! My sincere condolences to his family....my heart is with you.
Cookiehiker - Here is a shot of you with him!

My heart goes out to Mike and his family. Legacy and memories outlive any body.
Cookiehiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Cookiehiker »

@Lackerstef: Thank you for the picture! I had not seen that one to my recollection. A good man of the mountains was lost...blessed to have made his aquaintance!
C is for Cookie, that's good enough for me!
MOffutt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by MOffutt »

Our thoughts and prayers are with you
broncotw
14ers: 48 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by broncotw »

Absolutely horrible! My thought and prayers are with this fellow climber and his family!
Ted from TEXAS!
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

Just FYI, this post is from two years ago......not sure why it's resurfacing......just don't want anyone to think it's current.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."