Gladbach Peak

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Re: Gladbach Peak

Post by Mtnman200 »

How about the unnamed 13,631' peak near "Thunder Pyramid" and "Lightning Pyramid"? Both, by the way, are examples of peaks in a wilderness area with informal names that have stuck due to frequent use online and in guidebooks. Unnamed 13,631' is a tough peak, and I think it would be a fitting tribute to Steve.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

UN 13,631 is already informally called Len Shoemaker Peak.

Steve's close friends and family might have a good suggestion, something that would be meaningful in his personal history. Maybe something in the Sangres would be appropriate, as they're closer to his home than the Elks.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Steve was not a fan of "naming" peaks just for the sake of putting a name on it. (I'm pretty sure Nolan is fully on board with that too.)
One guide book author in particular has "named" quite a few I believe, and I recall Steve mentioning that he didn't really care for that.
I don't know where he would stand on having a peak officially named after him, but I bet he wouldn't really want it. I think he would rather have his legacy live on by actions we take in our mountaineering lives be nothing but positive -- actions that will help others attain their goals.

On a side note, in regards to a couple of other death threads lately and the speculation talk. Steve's death thread was the most positive one I've seen on here. It's unfortunate that we get anywhere to 6-10 of these every summer, but since we do have them occur here, I wish they could be more like the outpouring of support and care that was in the Steve Gladbach thread.

Climb on Steve, and keep me on belay....