Capitol Peak Accident 7/19/2013

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Capitol Peak Accident 7/19/2013

Post by Hungry Jack »

Hate these stories. It's a sure sign of hiking season that I could live without.
please rotate your device
IkeB
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 50 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by IkeB »

Sad news.
Alpinista
14ers: 55 
13ers: 53
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alpinista »

Alpinista's first law of mountaineering: "shortcuts rarely are."

RIP to the unfortunate hiker and condolences to friends and family.
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

Very sad to read this. My condolences to his family and friends.
Honeybush
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Honeybush »

Being a novice climber, what is the protocol when hiking in groups in regards to letting one of your team venture off alone?

Sorry to hear of his tragic death.
unclegar
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (9)

Post by unclegar »

Very sorry to hear of this accident. My condolences to his family and friends. Those Mountain Rescue Aspen folks sure have a tough job living in that area. (and they do a great job) Thanks again!
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Post by ameristrat »

It's been a tough year. Praying for the family and friends of Mr. Palmer - May God give you peace and healing as you grieve.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
toekramp
14ers: 29 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by toekramp »

Alpinista wrote:Alpinista's first law of mountaineering: "shortcuts rarely are."

RIP to the unfortunate hiker and condolences to friends and family.

Terrible to hear this news. Heart goes out to the community around him.
Last edited by toekramp on Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The true traveler is he who goes on foot, and even then, he sits down a lot of the time.
Colette
smrcka
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 116
Trip Reports (0)

Post by smrcka »

Very sad news...RIP Ryan. Eerie that while climbing today my partner and I talked about the N Face of Capitol and how difficult it is. Condolences to family and friends.
It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err. - Mahatma Gandhi

To be aware is to be alive!
fevercity
14ers: 4 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by fevercity »

Tragic season indeed.
RIP, Ryan.
Condolences to the friends & family.
shearmodulus
14ers: 18  1  1 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by shearmodulus »

Honeybush wrote:Being a novice climber, what is the protocol when hiking in groups in regards to letting one of your team venture off alone?

Sorry to hear of his tragic death.
First rule of safety - the only person that is ultimately responsible for your safety is YOU.

First rule of hiking/climbing in groups - stay together and defer to the weakest climber/hiker.

Unfortunately, the scenario described is not uncommon, namely "We decided to split up because [reason x] and never saw him/her again."

I climb solo in the winter all the time, but to prevent the same outcome, I am extremely risk adverse for route-selection, weather conditions and other objective hazards. I also keep to a rigid timeline so as to prevent an unnecessarily long delay in rescue operations should I go overdue, several people know my detailed itinerary and I carry a SPOT to check in with.

Bottom line is that you can never be too careful, but being in a group mitigates some of the hazards (and creates some of its own with groupthink, ego, pride, etc).
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads...."
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

Rest in Peace, Ryan. I'm hoping my mom doesn't see this. She's already giving me a hard time about wanting to do Capitol Peak.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog