Capitol Peak Accident 7/19/2013

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jfleisher
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Capitol Peak Accident 7/19/2013

Post by jfleisher »

This just in:

Press Release
For Immediate Release
Capitol Peak Incident

Pitkin County, Colorado – July 20, 2013 – On July 19th 2013 at around 7:00 p.m. the Pitkin County Sheriff’s office received the report of an overdue climber on Capitol Peak. Climbing partners stated that the overdue hiker attempted to climb down the north face of Capitol Peak rather than cross the knife edge again. The climbing partners continued on the route across the knife edge. The climbing partners could still see the overdue subject as he worked his way down the north face. After waiting for him at camp they decided to come on out and report him overdue.

On July 20th 2013 Mountain Rescue Aspen sent an airplane over head with spotters to look for the missing climber. They were unable to locate anything but determined which areas were most probable for the missing climber to be in. Mountain Rescue Aspen sent foot teams into the field. Two teams took the 2 separate trails up to the Capitol Lake. The Teams then split up and one team climbed up to the base of the north face while the other interviewed other climbers.
At around 2:10 p.m. a team located a body matching the description of the overdue climber at the base of the north face. The name of the climber will be released by the Pitkin County Coroner’s office upon notification of next of kin. The body will have to remain on scene until July 21, 2013 when it will be removed from the field.

There were 11 volunteers from Mountain Rescue Aspen and 3 Pitkin County Deputies involved in the incident.

The Pitkin County Sheriff’s Office would like to thank all of the volunteers at Mountain Rescue Aspen for their hard work and contribution to the people of this and other communities.

For more information contact:
Deputy Adam Crider
970-920-5300
Adam.Crider@pitkinsheriff.com
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Re: Capitol Peak Accident 7/19/2013

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

I'm saddened to hear this. Condolences to family and friends of the deceased.
tjerasdave
14ers: 30 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tjerasdave »

Wow, sorry to hear about this. This is the first time I've heard of someone trying to climb down the north face rather than cross back over the knife edge. Has anyone else done it?
jfleisher
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jfleisher »

tjerasdave wrote:Wow, sorry to hear about this. This is the first time I've heard of someone trying to climb down the north face rather than cross back over the knife edge. Has anyone else done it?
I had two acquaintances who supposedly did just that, years ago. They were skilled climbers, but a bit overconfident. They climbed straight down the north face from the knife, right down to the snowfield, at which point one lost control and broke his coccyx on the rocks beyond. The second one promptly re-climbed back to the knife, and returned normally to Capitol Lake. While the first guy was hurt, he was able to walk out.

...I could only wish the same for the guy yesterday...

Jeremy
ulvetano
14ers: 58  9  7 
13ers: 48 2 1
Trip Reports (20)

Post by ulvetano »

Wow. North face. Tragic choice.
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Doctor No »

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ ... -peak-near" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:(
cftbq
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (32)

Post by cftbq »

ulvetano wrote:Wow. North face. Tragic choice.
Definitely. I'm sorry for this individual, and for those he leaves behind, but come on: How could anyone with any climbing experience think that this would make the descent easier??
I have been to the mountaintop, and I have seen the force
and the power that animates the universe. That may not
match up with your anthropomorphic or teleological idea of
what "god" is, but it's good enough for me.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

Geese. This is absolutely terrible. I can't imagine descending the North Face of that mountain.
Even Alps and Blaurock took two attempts to climb UP it.
Sorry to hear of such tragedy. :(
andrewhamilton
14ers: 58  2  58 
13ers: 95
Trip Reports (3)

Post by andrewhamilton »

I get the impression that the climber thought it would be easier to downclimb the North face rather than go back across the knife edge ridge???
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I get the impression that the climber thought it would be easier to downclimb the North face rather than go back across the knife edge ridge???
That's kind of what it sounds like, but how could anyone believe that the North Face would be easier since you can see it from Capitol Lake and for much of the approach route?

Or was the North Face supposed to be a shortcut attempt? Or was he intentionally trying to find a harder route?

I wonder if the climbing partners tried to talk him out of it?

Very strange. And sad. :(

Edit: I wonder if he just meant to descend a small part of the North Face and find a bypass around the Knife Edge. It's the only thing that seems logical, but on the other hand, maybe I shouldn't speculate too much.
Last edited by Scott P on Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

Tragic. Very sorry to hear about this. Whatever his reasons for choosing this route were, it ended in the worst way. Let's try not to lose sight of that. Thoughts and condolences go out to his family and climbing partners.
doggler
14ers: 57  8 
13ers: 162 7
Trip Reports (25)

Post by doggler »

RIP to the climber. Sad.