I-70, MM218

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Do you think a route up the ridge (or on the left of it if there is a cornice) would be avy safe?
[/img]
montana1000
Trip Reports (0)

bethel

Post by montana1000 »

theirs a report in colorado summit hikes for everyone on bethel. it says at the road end keep a few hundred yeards to the right of dry crek and soon begin to hike up and north toward the saddle west of mount bethel. before you reach the saddle angle steeply northeast, gain the ridge and proceed to the cairn at the summit. I don't know if you would want to do that in winter but in summer looks good.
Kane
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kane »

Pettingel Peak takes the prize in this photo. Pettingel is also a better mountain. Do the east ridge.

Unfortunately for us, the best mountain in that area is just left, out of the photo. That would be the "Citadel."

The problem with Bethel is; when you work your ass off to attain the summit in winter you will wish you were on the summit of that cool looking peak just west.

Now, Bethel is ranked, but it's really just an extension of Citadel's long east ridge. Bethel is a worthy side note while descending from Citadel. You can make a loop route out of it.

Bill you got a nice photo of the Citadel that one from Sniktau?
Gahugafuga
14ers: 53 
13ers: 98
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Gahugafuga »

Kane wrote:Pettingel Peak takes the prize in this photo. Pettingel is also a better mountain. Do the east ridge.

Unfortunately for us, the best mountain in that area is just left, out of the photo. That would be the "Citadel."

The problem with Bethel is; when you work your ass off to attain the summit in winter you will wish you were on the summit of that cool looking peak just west.

Now, Bethel is ranked, but it's really just an extension of Citadel's long east ridge. Bethel is a worthy side note while descending from Citadel. You can make a loop route out of it.

Actually, I think MM218 is way underrated as a Denver mountaineering playground. I say that Boulder has Brainerd Lake while those of us in Denver have Exit 218.

The cirque from Pettingell to the Citadel offers a number of possible snow climbs well into July. In addition to the east ridge of Pettingell, there are interesting scrambles from Pettingell to the Citadel and from the Citadel to Hagar. And for mellower days, there's either Bethel or Hassell Peak. Not to mention heading the other direction to Woods/Parnassus/Bard/Robeson/Engelmann.

And best of all, if you do head up there with a full complement of mountaineering gear, the innumerable day hikers headed to Herman Lake will gawk at you like you're sasquatch.
Happiness is:
Kane
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kane »

Gahugafuga wrote:
Kane wrote:Pettingel Peak takes the prize in this photo. Pettingel is also a better mountain. Do the east ridge.

Actually, I think MM218 is way underrated as a Denver mountaineering playground. I say that Boulder has Brainerd Lake while those of us in Denver have Exit 218.

The cirque from Pettingell to the Citadel offers a number of possible snow climbs well into July. In addition to the east ridge of Pettingell, there are interesting scrambles from Pettingell to the Citadel and from the Citadel to Hagar. And for mellower days, there's either Bethel or Hassell Peak. Not to mention heading the other direction to Woods/Parnassus/Bard/Robeson/Engelmann.

And best of all, if you do head up there with a full complement of mountaineering gear, the innumerable day hikers headed to Herman Lake will gawk at you like you're sasquatch.
While en route to Herman Lake, keep your eyes peeled for fury little and big, four-legged creature's called dogs. If you're lucky, you may encounter up to 100-200 a day. Beware: it's highly possible that one may witness these creatures chasing tennisballs into a fragile ecosystem. That's about the only time I have ever wished I was Sasquatch. :D