conditions of cols from Zapata Lake to Ellingwood

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ronbco
14ers: 57 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (16)

conditions of cols from Zapata Lake to Ellingwood

Post by ronbco »

anyone been up in the last couple weeks and can report if there is snow in the "C2 gully"?
also, from study I have a mixed impression of the risk at the top of that (going up and going down) as well as the risk just below the summit on the N ridge...Is the rock and footing reasonably stable?
tx
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Re: conditions of cols from Zapata Lake to Ellingwood

Post by geojed »

Hmmmm...that's not a often travelled and reported here route. Also the only nearby peaks you could see it from are Twin Peaks and 13660A which aren't climbed very often.

But, I'm sure if the C2 Gully is not melted out when you go up there the C3 gully that I used on my climb of Ellingwood will be melted out by now.

http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=12100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

Don't know about current conditions, but the rock up that couloir isn't bad, pretty standard rock pile. Just a bit slow going. Up top near the summit, the exposure increases, but the rock is mostly solid. Great hike, highly recommended.
ronbco
Trip Reports (16)

Post by ronbco »

Thanks for the replies gents!
Your 2 trip reports are what inspired me to plan for this route. I'm going up it on monday with my adult sons and nephew.
I assume "C3" is to the right of "C2" (looking up).
Painless, sounds like perhaps you went around the steep section at the top to get to the main route to the summit?

Jed, is the downclimb from the Ellingwood summit on the return is reasonable? Must be because you didn't comment on it. I assume it is just a short section of exposed class 3 (< 10 min)?

Any other recon on the hike in from the Z falls trailhead?
painless4u2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

Yeah, just before you get to the summit, you stay below the ridge to climbers right on some obvious ledges. This will take you over to the traditional route and up the final bit to the top. There is some exposure there but nothing crazy. You guys have fun.
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

There is a gpx with the TR. from S Zapata Lake you head right up grass and rock to the upper part of the basin. Once you get up there you'll see the C3 Couloir. I'm guessing C2 will be mostly if not all melted out by now. Have fun!
joe2002
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by joe2002 »

We did this route last year right around this time and there was no snow at all. The rock is very solid, and you shouldn't have much problem.

If you have the means, I would take 2 cars. We parked one at Como and the other at Zapata in case we ran into weather. We turned it into a sort of loop. It worked out since we ran into a nasty hail/thunderstorm and downclimbing Ellingwood back to Zapata would have been tough.
EVEREST DREAMS
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (0)

Post by EVEREST DREAMS »

I agree one of my favorite routes.
ronbco
Trip Reports (16)

Post by ronbco »

Well, since I have now returned from this hike I can answer my own question :lol:
Crossfire and C2 cols are snow free. I did not see C3, but am quite confident it must also be snow free.
But note that the rock/dirt in C2 has moderate risk. We ended up with a member with stitches as the result of a boulder that broke off with a quite limited hand hold.