good 14er to take people on?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
clemsonmtneer
14ers: 35  6 
13ers: 23 6
Trip Reports (15)

Re: good 14er to take people on?

Post by clemsonmtneer »

It would be a bit of a drive, but Handies Peak in the San Juans comes to mind as something that would be a great option for you guys... relatively easy and very scenic (this is true for both routes, from American Basin or Grizzly Gulch), great camping nearby, and an access road that doesn't suck nearly as much as the road to S Colony Lakes.
trektheworld
14ers: 26 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by trektheworld »

clemsonmtneer wrote:It would be a bit of a drive, but Handies Peak in the San Juans comes to mind as something that would be a great option for you guys... relatively easy and very scenic (this is true for both routes, from American Basin or Grizzly Gulch), great camping nearby, and an access road that doesn't suck nearly as much as the road to S Colony Lakes.

thanks for the suggestion - maybe another time. It's just too much of a drive.

Now i've been looking at Missouri Mtn. - seems pretty simple. How's the dispersed camping near the trailhead?
bob863
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bob863 »

Missouri would be good....nice dispersed camping and your Element should have no problem....
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

If you're taking a group to that area, Huron would be a better choice. Better trail and scenery - Missouri is kind of a choss pile. There's also lots of good roadside camping around Winfield. The wildflowers along either route should be terrific right now.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

Missouri would be kind of a long day. I will concur with the thought that if you are heading in the center of the Sawatch, Huron is your best option. Winfield is a great place to camp, the hike is one of the most scenic in the Sawatch...you will not be disappointed.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
trektheworld
14ers: 26 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by trektheworld »

huffy13 wrote:Missouri would be kind of a long day. I will concur with the thought that if you are heading in the center of the Sawatch, Huron is your best option. Winfield is a great place to camp, the hike is one of the most scenic in the Sawatch...you will not be disappointed.
I've already done Huron guys - I marked it as my favorite 14er so far. It was great - and though I would do it again...I'm just one of these people who likes to explore new things and places instead of re-treading old favorites...
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

It was your favorite, you'd do it again, but not with your friends? Maybe you should reexamine your priorities. :wink:
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump