Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ride some snow year round.

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers! Ski/Ride Trip Reports

Ride some snow year round.

Postby hardtryer » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:49 am

Hey everyone! Just wanted to possible get some ideas for these harder to ski summer months. I know most late season spots are glaciers, but I'm trying to have a little more fun with it. I'm interested in finding new ski routes that hold snow.

I don't want to have to leave the state, so if you've hiked somewhere in the summer and saw a good patch of snow PLEASE put it out there! It can be vague or somewhat secret, I'm a good hunter.. :mrgreen: and enjoy exploring.

If there are any other year round skiers/boarders on here-SAY HI.

Re: Ride some snow year round.

Postby ajkagy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:21 am

try the west side of rollins pass, it's probably one of the easiest places to access and is usually good in July and sometimes into August.
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby hardtryer » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:16 pm

as mentioned.. Ive done that logging road once or twice.. :-D

Postby ajkagy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:23 pm

hardtryer wrote:I know most late season spots are glaciers

I think you pretty much answered your own question :)

By early Sept. most permanent snow fields aren't even worth skiing anyways due to quality of snow/ice and sun cupping anyways. It's always possible to get lucky with an early season storm in late Sept. though :)
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby KevinD » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:31 am

I got into the bad habit of skiing at least one day a month up in MT about six years ago and now that I'm in CO I'm having a good time searching out little stashes that hold out through the summer. The skiing may not be great in Aug and Sept, but it's fun exploring. If you're looking for a second in July, let me know and we can pick a day or weekend to go find something.

Postby Obese_goat » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:00 pm

4th of July bowl in breckenfridge is pretty sweet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYuuoc0qhXw
“The mountain has left me feeling renewed, more content and positive than I’ve been for weeks, as if something has been given back after a long absence, as if my eyes have opened once again. For this time at least, I’ve let myself be rooted in the unshakable sanity of the senses, spared my mind the burden of too much thinking, turned myself outward to experience the world and inward to savor the pleasures it has given me.”
― Richard Nelson

"Going to the mountains is going home.”
― John Muir

https://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/StevoMagaa

Postby hardtryer » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:51 pm

i know the skiing isn't great during these hot months but I'm a snowman, so seeing an old friend no matter what her mood makes me happy.

thanks for the help everyone. ](*,)

Postby sstratta » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:39 pm

Byers Peak outside of Fraser usually holds snow throughout the year.

Postby maverick_manley » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:16 pm

hardtryer wrote:Hey everyone! Just wanted to possible get some ideas for these harder to ski summer months. I know most late season spots are glaciers, but I'm trying to have a little more fun with it. I'm interested in finding new ski routes that hold snow.

I don't want to have to leave the state, so if you've hiked somewhere in the summer and saw a good patch of snow PLEASE put it out there! It can be vague or somewhat secret, I'm a good hunter.. :mrgreen: and enjoy exploring.

If there are any other year round skiers/boarders on here-SAY HI.

We found a nice line on Cumulus (Neversummer Range) - July 29th, 2011 - http://lostinmerica.wordpress.com/about/mt-cumulus-ski-descent/. Granted that was a big snow year. I also look to ski year round, so hit me up if you're looking for partners.
My Brain Stops at Treeline but my Soles will Summit

Postby wvuboy » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:05 pm

What up. I feel the need for more turns this summer. I am an experienced resort skier but beginner to the backcountry. Would like to hit what's left. Wouldn't mind skinning some too if there is a spot. Holler if you want to hit something.
Clark sevin tooo zeero fore tree phive wun win aight tooo. don't now if that helps against spam, etc, but WTH.

Postby scotty1974 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:35 am

No skinning brother. I've been wearing approach shoes and shorts in and carrying my splitty. Even boarding in shorts.

Anyways the big snowfields are in still, couliors might be better left to just mostly climbing as alot of the exits are melting out. Conditions are choppy and sun cupped and require a really early start with the storms, but hey riding is riding.

I'd recommend reading Roach's Indian Peaks book and also Front Range Descents to see what the year round snowfields are, but I can tell you Navajo, Isabelle and Pawnee are good to go for sure. Toll, Audubon and S. Arapahoe are either melted out or not worth riding. Pawnee, Isabelle and St. Mary's will be your best bet for mellow faces, but there is just stuff all around to crampon up.

Get out there,snoop around and see what's in, but get it quick. This heat and mountain rain are diminishing alot of the routes, so expect big hike days.

Postby Dave B » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:09 am

I noticed yesterday that you can almost get a summit ski on the south couloir on Pawnee.

Have to climb a bit to connect the second, lower, snow slope but could be close to 1500'.

"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Next