1st Annual Steve Gladbach Memorial Hike

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Which of these weekends would you be able to attend?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:47 am

September 21-22
20%
September 28-29
20%
October 5-6
37%
October 12-13
23%

Total votes: 119
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Re: 1st Annual Steve Gladbach Memorial Hike

Post by Phill the Thrill »

semitrueskerm wrote:I love the orange hat idea. If nothing else, we could probably order a bunch somewhere online (or even get some outfitter to donate them) and it would be pretty cool to see a mountain full of climbers in orange hats. It would be a nice tribute.
I have a blaze orange Elmer Fudd hunting cap complete with ear muffs - I will definitely bring it.
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
Phill the Thrill
Trip Reports (6)

FYI, October 12-13 is elk 1st rifle season, then the blaze orange caps are pretty much necessary.
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

semitrueskerm wrote:I love the orange hat idea. If nothing else, we could probably order a bunch somewhere online (or even get some outfitter to donate them) and it would be pretty cool to see a mountain full of climbers in orange hats. It would be a nice tribute.
Good luck finding some. If I recall, Steve looked and looked and was not very successful in finding in any current ones available. He was able to find a few, which he purchased. I think the one they laid out at his memorial service had to be one of the new ones, given that it wasn't faded!
Phill the Thrill wrote:
I have a blaze orange Elmer Fudd hunting cap complete with ear muffs - I will definitely bring it.
Phill the Thrill, where and when did you get yours?
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

dmccool wrote:I'll be there any of these weekends...rain/snow/shine
Me to.

SurfNTurf wrote: I don't think an entry fee is necessary. People will donate by the bucketload for this. There's no need to give anyone a reason to feel alienated.
Agreed
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
Phill the Thrill
Trip Reports (6)

Phill the Thrill wrote:
Phill the Thrill, where and when did you get yours?[/quote]

My dad got it at a garage sale years ago and thought I would like it since I hunt. My reaction: I'd NEVER wear that. But funny how you change your mind when it's 5 degrees F. and you're walking in the snow all day looking for elk.
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

Prefer October, but am fairly open.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

We won't be able to make Oct 12-13. We'll be in the Maritimes and along visiting family heading up to Mt Carleton, high point of New Brunswick. Oct 5-6 MountainHikerette won't be able to make it, but I will. We should be able to make it both weekends in Sept.

I'm pretty sure I have a blaze orange hat that will work.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

Thank you for organizing this hike, Anna.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

This Fall Gathering is still 6 weeks out however, I am asking for your help.

I've been asked by Nona Gladbach to put together a memorial video for the family, and this gathering is a perfect way to meet up with those who knew Steve Gladbach. I am planning to attend Oct 5-6 so I can film some short interviews.

Two things:
1. If you were friends with Steve, would be willing to share a few short comments on-camera with me, and are attending this gathering would you please let me know?
2. If you were friends with Steve, would be willing to share a few short comments on-camera with me, and are NOT attending this gathering but would like to meet some other time/place for a short interview, would you let me know?

Thanks!
Britt
PM or call 719-661-4777