WyomingBob

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Jagged Mountain Accident

Post by kimo »

His adventures inspired me through the years. Rest in Peace, Howard.
rking007
14ers: 13  1 
13ers: 19 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rking007 »

Prayers go out to his family and friends. So sorry. :(
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

Like so many others, I knew Bob through his TR's. He always admitted his route finding mistakes and took such a modest approach in describing his climbs. He would always respond to any comment I would leave on his reports and I did several 13ers as a direct result of his site. This is SO sad... Thoughts and prayers to his friends and family... With Steve gone and Terry's passing, this news just adds to my continuing sadness...
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
ChicagoMike
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChicagoMike »

Thoughts and prayers
Coucher73
14ers: 25 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Coucher73 »

Oh my God, no.

I've read so many of his trip reports that I felt like I knew him. I can't believe he's gone.
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

awilbur77 wrote: I just read about how WB went through his own broken ankle last year, so this really hits home for me personally.
It seems he broke his ankle last year on the approach to climb Jagged.......the same mountain he lost his life on last week. :(
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

mtgirl wrote:
awilbur77 wrote: I just read about how WB went through his own broken ankle last year, so this really hits home for me personally.
It seems he broke his ankle last year on the approach to climb Jagged.......the same mountain he lost his life on last week. :(
I am so sorry to hear that this is Wyoming Bob. My prayers are with his family and friends. I just read his trip report to Chicago/Ruby Basins last summer when he broke his ankle. He was one incredibly strong person to walk out of there with a broken ankle. Note that he refers to all the climbing gear they took with them in their planned attempt to climb Jagged Peak. Clearly something went very wrong in this accident, and it just hurts to hear of another fatal accident involving a truly accomplished climber and great person. Bob, I'm sorry we never met. I will think of you next summer when we plan to spend a week backpacking that same Ruby Basin to climb Pigeon/Turret/Jupiter etc.
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
devo
14ers: 57  1 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by devo »

I met Wyoming Bob a few years back when we ended up on a 4th of July climb of Culebra a few years ago. It was his 14er finisher that he had not wanted to climb due to the concept of having to pay the fee but had decided to check it off his list. He was one of the friendliest people you could ever hope to meet and shared some great stories of his climbing adventures from all over the world. We all shared a couple of beers back at the trucks, said our goodbyes and we were off. I kept in touch via email over the years discussing mountains we were heading to but we never met again. My deepest sympathies for his friends and family and even though my heart is saddened by the news of his passing I will always consider myself lucky that our paths crossed and will fondly remember that glorious day spent on that mountain and the true joy and passion that he carried with him while he was there.
anasarca76
14ers: 57 
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (5)

Re: WyomingBob Memorial

Post by anasarca76 »

My sincerest condolences to his family and friends... RIP my fellow Wyomingite
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

Well said, Devo. I met WyomingBob the same day. Class act and very fun to hike with/drink beers afterwards with. I enjoyed his trip reports greatly.

This has been an awful season.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Do we know for sure it was "Wyoming Bob" from the site?
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

His profile says he visited the site yesterday at 9:52 am. When did this accident occur? Well, someone logged in with his profile anyway.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.