Rest in Peace, Terry Mathews

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JLOHARA
14ers: 58 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Rest in Peace, Terry Mathews

Post by JLOHARA »

I had plans to climb Maroon with Terry, actually Terry and I had plans for him to guide me up Maroon last weekend. The pan was thwarted by bad weather. The last e-mails I exchanged with Terry ended with how important it was for hikers/climbers to invest in the COSAR card. This is a direct quote/copy of one of last few lines of his t e-mail:

I
f we do not make it to the top of the south ridge 3.5 hours after we reach the bent tree, I will turn us around. I have no intentions of putting you or Search & Rescue personnel in danger.

Speaking of Search & Rescue, please make sure you buy a CORSAR card. A 1-year card is $3: https://dola.colorado.gov/sar/orderInstructions.jsf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The CORSAR Card Is Not Insurance
The card is not insurance and does not reimburse individuals nor does it pay for medical transport. Medical transport includes helicopter flights or ground ambulance. If aircraft are used as a search vehicle, those costs are reimbursed by the fund. If the aircraft becomes a medical transport due to a medical emergency, the medical portion of the transport is not covered.

Terry

Terry was always safety first, his group and the search and rescue. Using this thread for the COSAR awareness. Lets flood the COSAR card purchases/renewal in honor of Terry. Something he always stressed before a hike with him.
Terry presence will be deeply missed.
Jodi
Kitten
14ers: 58  1  2 
13ers: 122
Trip Reports (24)

Post by Kitten »

Very sad to hear... I only knew Terry from his posts and TR's here, they were very descriptive and I had used them for my climbs. He always sounded so enthusiastic, hard to believe he's gone... RIP Terry.
"Do or do not, there is no try"
Yoda, Star Wars.
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

I'm not sure I can add anything more that hasn't been said already...he was a great guy who always was willing to help other people out - a very admirable trait. And I'm glad to have had the opportunity to talk to him on several climbs and at some happy hour's. It is hard to believe he's gone.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Someone had inquired about Terry's trip reports and photos...

He removed them recently.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:Someone had inquired about Terry's trip reports and photos...

He removed them recently.
For those who don't know, his blog is still up, and while it doesn't offer everything his TRs did that he posted on 14ers, there is quite a bit of information on some of his more technical climbs, epic climbs, and his progression through climbing in general.

http://tlmathews.com/blog/
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
jam6880
14ers: 57  10  4 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jam6880 »

Bill can you retrieve the TR and put them under my name?
Louis Mathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Louis Mathews »

Terry's Obituary, the time for his Celebration Of Life Gathering is 7:30 PM 27 July 2013 Garden of the Gods, Colorado Springs, in the old chuck wagon/amphitheater near the main parking lot, .15 mile from the entrance on 30th St across from the Visitors Center.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/gazett ... =165889998" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Louis W Mathews
doggler
14ers: 57  8 
13ers: 162 7
Trip Reports (25)

Post by doggler »

Here's the link to a trip Terry, Abe(fireonthemountain), and I took to the Crestones in spring conditions. Terry used sound judgement that day, and didn't seem to mind when I went comotose for the entire ride back to Colorado Springs.
lakecityrat
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by lakecityrat »

I have spent the last few days trying to absorb the shock of losing my friend Terry. While words could never describe how special he was, I created a trip report that talks about my time with him. Please click this link:

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=13880" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For all of Terry's 14'ers friends, Doggler, Brit, Anna, Jerry, Steve, Kiefer, Bill and many others I am forgetting, please know that Terry spoke of you often. I can only hope that I had as much impact on Terry's life as he did on mine.

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft starlight at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.
Last edited by lakecityrat on Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Life's been good to me so far" - JW
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

jam6880 wrote:Bill can you retrieve the TR and put them under my name?
If it was Terry's TR, I can't put it back up since he chose to remove it.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

After Peter Topp died on El Diente on July 26, 2010 and then the tragic deaths of Duane and Linda Buhrmester on the Ellingwood Arete, Crestone Needle, on the following day; Terry wrote this in his blog.
If something should ever happen to me while I’m climbing, this is how I want everyone to remember me:
I give you this one thought to keep;
I am with you still; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sunlight on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning’s hush,
I am the swift, uplifting rush
of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not think of me as gone;
I am with you still; in each new dawn.
Frankly - it matters not how he passed.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
Oldskool70
14ers: 28  1  1 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Oldskool70 »

Well, I must say I'm really pissed off. Pissed off that I never got to meet Terry. I truly enjoyed his input. I mostly liked his snipits near home. The closer you got to Colorado Springs, the more adamant he was concerning the areas 'topics'. Passionate would be best term to use. Waldo Canyon comes to mind. He was more on top of the fire than the people in the media.

I hike solo 95% of the time but if there was someone off this board I wanted to truly go on an outing with from begining to end I would say it was Terry. Although gruff, he seemed to have all the qualities I personally would look for in a hiking buddy. Reliable, informative, charismatic, no-bull$*%t kinda guy. Based on this thread he was even much more than that.

I haven't frequented this board as much in 2013... or climbed even. Wife, kids, moving, etc. I looked forward to seeing Terry's tidbits as he obviously seemed more dedicated than me. I respected his drive. Hell, I have never even been to one of those C/S happy hours. I figured although I was not as active as him, eventually there would be a day I'd run into him. I wish I'd been more proactive. I missed out. Sorry Terry. :cry:

Russ
If you're not moshing, it's NOT music.