1st Annual Steve Gladbach Memorial Hike

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Which of these weekends would you be able to attend?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:47 am

September 21-22
20%
September 28-29
20%
October 5-6
37%
October 12-13
23%

Total votes: 119
mjsherman
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 53
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 1st Annual Steve Gladbach Memorial Hike

Post by mjsherman »

dmccool wrote:While donations are great and likely plentiful, nothing like this should ever be about money. Maybe the financial end of this event could be discussed through PM. IMO, it sort of takes away from the beauty of remembering and honoring Steve. As mentioned above, Steve was a cheerful giver and making giving mandatory doesn't seem Gladbach-like.

I also agree with this. Steve would not want to exclude people due to fee. dmccool. I am not sure if you remember me. I hiked Massive with you a couple years ago and my dog was hit by a porcupine. It has been a while since that hike and would like to hike with you again so we can talk about Steve more.
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

mjsherman wrote:
dmccool wrote:While donations are great and likely plentiful, nothing like this should ever be about money. Steve was a cheerful giver and making giving mandatory doesn't seem Gladbach-like.

I also agree with this. Steve would not want to exclude people due to fee.

Now that I have thought about this, I think I agree. We should not charge. At the gathering we can just "pass the hat"... kinda like taking an offering at church. Those who want to donate to the MEMORIAL MOUNTAINEERING TRAINING FUND can, but nobody is under any obligation.

I like this approach better. It feels more like how Steve would want it done.
Last edited by globreal on Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Perea
13ers: 150 1
Trip Reports (26)

Post by Perea »

I'm in for any of the weekends and think we should all sport an orange hat like the one Steve always wore.
Scotzman
14ers: 14  1 
13ers: 7 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Scotzman »

El Chupacabra wrote:I'm in for any of the weekends and think we should all sport an orange hat like the one Steve always wore.
It would be cool to wear a "Steve hat" although did I read somewhere that they don't make them anymore? If they do, I have a feeling they might all of a sudden have a supply shortage! If not maybe just a orange hat. :)
Scotzman
Every man dies, not every man really lives.
What we do in life echoes in eternity.
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Fisching »

globreal wrote:
mjsherman wrote:
dmccool wrote:While donations are great and likely plentiful, nothing like this should ever be about money. Steve was a cheerful giver and making giving mandatory doesn't seem Gladbach-like.

Now that I have thought about this, I think I agree. We should not charge. At the gathering we can just "pass the hat"... kinda like taking an offering at church. Those who want to donate to the MEMORIAL MOUNTAINEERING TRAINING FUND can, but nobody is under any obligation.

I like this approach better, and I bet it will even raise more training $$'s.
Out of experience with fundraising, people are far more willing to be generous when it's a "donations accepted" style instead of a $X amount.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

globreal wrote:
mjsherman wrote:

I like this approach better, and I bet it will even raise more training $$'s.
Agreed. I'll retract my previous thought about a minimum fee. dmccool makes a very good and true point.
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
dmccool
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dmccool »

mjsherman wrote:
dmccool wrote:dmccool. I am not sure if you remember me. I hiked Massive with you a couple years ago and my dog was hit by a porcupine. It has been a while since that hike and would like to hike with you again so we can talk about Steve more.
Matt, I definitely remember such a great day. I'll send you a PM and hopefully we can reconnect. Thanks so much for mentioning this
Save a place for me up in the high country.
There's still space to breathe.

- Gregory Alan Isakov
Scotzman
14ers: 14  1 
13ers: 7 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Scotzman »

Looks like Oct 5/6 has a large lead in votes for the hike; when will, if it hasn't already been set, the date be finalized so those interested can block the day off and plan accordingly?
Scotzman
Every man dies, not every man really lives.
What we do in life echoes in eternity.
altidude
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by altidude »

Looks like I'll finally be able to make it to a gathering, and what a fantastic one this will be!
The mountain always wins, we do not always lose.

Carpe mañana
semitrueskerm
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by semitrueskerm »

I love the orange hat idea. If nothing else, we could probably order a bunch somewhere online (or even get some outfitter to donate them) and it would be pretty cool to see a mountain full of climbers in orange hats. It would be a nice tribute.
SpringsHiker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (1)

Post by SpringsHiker »

I definitely want to participate and unfortunately, Oct 5-6 are the only dates I cannot attend as I will be out of state. I know majority rules but I will sure hate to miss it.
"I am not a fizzy yellow beer drinking ninny!"
Kitten
14ers: 58  1  2 
13ers: 122
Trip Reports (24)

Post by Kitten »

Nice idea Anna, thanks for organizing.
"Do or do not, there is no try"
Yoda, Star Wars.