Four-Pass Loop Conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MichaelKB
Trip Reports (0)

Four-Pass Loop Conditions?

Post by MichaelKB »

I'm planning on coming up for the hike next week and was wondering if anyone knows the status if this trail? Mainly concerned with the amount of snow and any creek/river crossings. I appreciate the time!

Michael
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Re: Four-Pass Loop Conditions?

Post by gb »

Should be some great skiing
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

Looking over towards the Bells/Pyramid Monday (cell phone quality):
IMG00318-20130603-0827.jpg
IMG00318-20130603-0827.jpg (237.22 KiB) Viewed 2057 times
Edit - thanks for the Rustler's beta, gb and ajkagy
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
MichaelKB
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MichaelKB »

Eek! Yeahhhh.. wasn't planning on skiing! lol Thanks for the replies thus far, guys!
MichaelKB
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MichaelKB »

Planning on trying again next Thursday. Anyone been on this in the past few days?
MyFeetHurt
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by MyFeetHurt »

Bumping this up, thinking about doing the loop this weekend. Any recent beta on conditions? How many nights do people usually take, and where do you generally try to make camp? I'm thinking that a clockwise loop might be something like 4 days/3 nights, camping before Maroon Pass, then below Trail Rider Pass in Fravert Basin, then at Snowmass Lake. Thoughts?
Stevo
14ers: 54 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Stevo »

I just did the four pass loop last weekend going clockwise. The conditions are great right now. There was a large cornice on Buckskin Pass and the Snowmass Lake side of Trailrider held snow fields up high and was extremely wet/muddy down low...nothing that wasn't easily avoided though. The streams are running high so be prepared to take your boots off a few times or deal with wet feet.

Most of the people I talked to were doing the loop in 3-4 days. Fravert Basin and Snowmass Lake would be camping spots. We stayed at Snowmass Lake. There was a ton of Mosquitos so be sure to take bug spray!

Let me know if you want any more information or pictures. It is a fantastic loop and you won't be disappointed!
pioletski
14ers: 58  58  6 
Trip Reports (48)

Post by pioletski »

Folks are saying carry at least one trekking pole to help with creek crossings.

@Myfeethurt - if you're out there this weekend look for me, I'll be the one with 3 young monkeys in tow. We're starting Saturday morning from Lead King Basin, going clockwise over 4 days/3 nights.
The greater danger, for most of us, is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low, and we reach it.
- Michelangelo
Steve Gio
14ers: 19 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Steve Gio »

Looking for an update on conditions, river crossings/levels and wildflowers. Thinking about doing the loop 19th thru 21st.

Thanks for info
ScottN
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ScottN »

Did the loop July 8-10. The entire route is snow free. We only needed to take off our shoes for two small stream crossings. The wildflowers were as good as I've ever seen.
jeffCC
14ers: 3 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jeffCC »

I just ran the loop yesterday.

WARNING: Do not bring any wildflowers into the region! There simply isn't room for any more!

Seems to me I made about 4-5 wet crossings. I didn't look around much for ways to avoid them, but it seems like at least two were unavoidable.

This was my first trail run where I got my shoes/socks soaked. Surprisingly, it really isn't so bad. As long as your shoes are breathable (not waterproof!) they will dry out in notime and you'll forget about them before that.

One tip that I now follow on longer runs is to thoroughly slather my feet with Vaseline before putting my socks on. I think this helps avoid problems during the wet sock intervals as well.

TBH, by the end of the day it felt really good to get my feet cold and wet. I walked through a couple of streams even where there were stepping stones.
silverlafs
14ers: 19 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by silverlafs »

Any new information on conditions? Planning on doing it 24th of this month. Thanks
Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon.