Uinta, Winds and Beartooths!

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Uinta, Winds and Beartooths!

Post by steelfrog »

Ok folks. Considering a 10-12 day trip next summer to spend time in all 3 of these ranges. Uinta--Kings Peak; Winds --Ganett; Beartooths--Granite

Question: would this suck? Are there better things to do in these 3 than the high points?
taylorzs
14ers: 57  35  3 
13ers: 95 31 9
Trip Reports (76)

Re: Uinta, Winds and Beartooths!

Post by taylorzs »

steelfrog wrote:Ok folks. Considering a 10-12 day trip next summer to spend time in all 3 of these ranges. Uinta--Kings Peak; Winds --Ganett; Beartooths--Granite

Question: would this suck? Are there better things to do in these 3 than the high points?
Would this suck? Ha, those are some beautiful places and nothing will suck about visiting any of them. The Uintahs are beautiful, characterized by long approaches and mostly hikeups, for ascents. I did Kings a couple years ago (and snowboarded it) and had a lot of fun. It is just a hike but I do not really know of any real rock climbing/scrambling around there and Kings is a beautiful peak, so go for it. The Winds are probably the most remote, rugged wilderness area in the lower 48. Gannett is a big glaciated peak. It has excellent snow climbing, glacier travel, a long approach, and a very remote location. Nothing wrong with doing that. If you want snow and a really long approach go for that. There are a lot of really long rock climbs on other alpine peaks in the range farther to the south concentrated in the Cirque of the Winds. If you like long trad climbs and a shorter approach you may want to consider that too/instead. Depends on what you are looking for. I have not been into the Beartooths but they look beautiful in pictures and Granite looks like a worthy peak. It is on my hitlist. There are probably a lot of great peak options there. The second highest peak in Montana (Whitefish I think? I forget the name) has a super classic couloir on it but if you are going to that you would want to head that way early season. Granite is probably better during mid-summer. No matter what you do, it will not suck, in any of those ranges. Have fun!
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." Edward Abbey

http://www.zachtaylorsnowboarding.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Uinta, Winds and Beartooths!

Post by steelfrog »

Thanks. This is my third kid's "big trip" that I take with them the summer before freshman year. I have 6 kids

First trip was going from White Wolf to Tioga pass in Yosemite high country; followed by some peaks in the eastern Sierra, during the Perseus

Second was Canadian Rockies

This one will either be these 3 ranges or Alaska