Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

The Lost Summer... ZERO peaks bagged... boooooo!

Items that do not fit the categories above.

The Lost Summer... ZERO peaks bagged... boooooo!

Postby Dark Helmet » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:54 pm

So it looks like this summer is going to be lost.

Between work, coaching, prepping to sit for the CFP Board exam, and kids "stuff"... I'm not going to get in ANYTHING until we take a week in Estes in September. Was going to bag the easy ones Elbert, Evans Bierstadt, Grays, Torrey... but alas, ZERO.

crap.

For the RMNP trip, I'm going to try and snag Chaquita & Ypsilon my first morning there, an easy 11er with all the kids on the second day, and then MLW the last day.

but no 14ers, so I am disappoint.

Re: The Lost Summer... ZERO peaks bagged... boooooo!

Postby SeracZack » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:08 pm

Time spent outside, especially with your children, is not lost. Could be some of the greatest moments, you just never know. There's a lot out there to worry about some 14ers.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Postby scottfarish » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:50 pm

There's no shame in it... I began my 14er quest in 1999. There were times when it was 3 or 4 years in between a successful peak summit... then 3 kids come along, and the plan-of-action gets moved further down the road. I hear your pain, but the mountains will always be there. Find the enjoyment that you will have getting to hike RMNP, Ypsilon, and MLW with your kids. Maybe it will perk their interest and you'll soon be hiking 14ers with them.

Postby Scott P » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:00 pm

Maybe make up for it in Fall and Winter?
Last edited by Scott P on Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby 2giqs » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:08 pm

how about a 200 mile roundtrip, road trip to Mt Evans?

Postby Mtnman200 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:06 pm

I feel your pain, as I had almost a lost decade. Seven years (2001 - 2008) with no climbs at all. Twelve years (1999 - 2011) with no progress on climbing bicentennials after reaching 193/202. Finally, a bicentennial in 2011 and two more in 2012. So hang in there.... It could be worse!

Postby kushrocks » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:33 pm

SeracZack wrote:Time spent outside, especially with your children, is not lost. Could be some of the greatest moments, you just never know. There's a lot out there to worry about some 14ers.

Well said Zack
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby Dark Helmet » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:25 pm

that's fair zack... just frustrates me to set a goal and then not even sniff it...

my son (8) has been riding his bike along with me on my long runs... we did ~11 last night, MLW will be his first 13er (he did Chasm Lake last year, so I'm sure he can do it with a couple days to acclimate).

the little girls spend a lot of time in the jogging stroller too, but that's slowed down since the Heat Indexes cleared 100F...

I over-committed on some stuff too, can't blame anyone but myself.

hoping to sneak the wife away for the halloween-ish Quandry group-hike... that'd at least give me one 14er this year.

Postby Cruiser » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:43 pm

I feel you DH. I used to get out a lot more before my kids were born. Now I'm lucky if I can find the time to get away for a couple of half days here and there and one good multi night trip per summer. But my 6yo made it to 13k on Bierstadt a couple of weeks ago. That was pretty gratifying!

Postby Dark Helmet » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:54 pm

Nice Cruiser...

my little guy (we live at 1200ft-ish) did:
11,200 (timberline falls) at 6
12,200? (Chasm Lake) at 7
13,600 (MLW) is the plan for 8.

my dad works in denver and my Brother is moving to Loveland, so that should give us more chances to get out there.